Oiling a squeaky (heater) blower motor? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2014, 07:48 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Oiling a squeaky (heater) blower motor?

Is there a way to oil a squeaky blower motor without taking the heater box apart?
Can you work, for instance, the red straw from a WD40 can in there somehow?

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is probably the fan rubbing in the case or some dirt. You can try washing it out.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I tried that on mine, and ultimately ended up replacing it. Mine would make a loud screeching noise when the temps were very low. I basically had to turn it off and on until it stopped squealing once the engine had warmed up. If I let it make noise long enough it would blow the fuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2014, 11:32 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Maybe this?

http://www.amazon.com/3-IN-ONE-10045.../dp/B00065VGUC
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:10 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Well, for now, I oiled the heater blower motor.

Well, for now, I oiled the heater blower motor. After removing the motor, I concluded the squeak was from the inaccessible rear bearing. In true Land Rover fashion, I drilled a small hole at the top of the dimple on the rear of the motor casing. This is where the rear bearing resides. Using a small straw provided by the oil source, I oiled the bearing. It is working as good as one can expect. In the event that it requires oiling in the future, this can be accomplished with a little finesse without removing the motor.

Ow, this also required a run down to the local hardware store to purchase some foam/spongy insulation strips to replace the rotten one sealing the blower box to the supply vent box.

This will do for now until I find a suitable replacement. All the replacements I have seen are negative body ground. This would require opening the replacement blower motor and cutting then tapping into the ground wire or insulating the motor body from the box and externally attaching a ground wire.

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater, motor