oil sump gasket question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 24th, 2012, 06:55 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
oil sump gasket question

hello gentlemen! a quick question concerning sealing up the oil pan. i have the new cork gasket but according to my shop manual, it just mentions putting a 2mm bead of hylosil and then bolting it up and makes no mention of the cork gasket. so should i use just the hylosil or the cork gasket? or use a bead of hylomar and the cork gasket? 3.9L V8 btw.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone View Post
hello gentlemen! a quick question concerning sealing up the oil pan. i have the new cork gasket but according to my shop manual, it just mentions putting a 2mm bead of hylosil and then bolting it up and makes no mention of the cork gasket. so should i use just the hylosil or the cork gasket? or use a bead of hylomar and the cork gasket? 3.9L V8 btw.

thanks!
Mine leaks too..... been meaning to redo mine.... let me know how it was..... I was planning on using both hylosil & gasket.....
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
I think I am the only one here on this board using the stock cork gasket (everyone else uses right stuff).
I have had great luck with it, no leaks in three years. No hylomar, just a small bead of rtv on the front cover seams and the rear main cap seams.

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2012, 11:52 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
is 'the right stuff' the hylomar or is the brand 'right stuff' also, just apply a 2-3mm bead and torque it down. if i use the cork (since i already have it) and hylomar do i still torque to the reccomended specs? i just remember cork on valve covers and you used rtv and did not tighten much becasue if you did, the cork would tear.
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Cork = hand tighten
If tightened too much, the pan bends then leaks happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas