Oil Strainer Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 20th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Oil Strainer Question

I am wondering if it possible the oil strainer in my 95 (3.9 NAS) could be clogged with so much crud, it does not allow the flow it should. Reason I ask this is cause the S.A.P.O. clearly did not take care of the engine well as it has more soot build-up than I have ever seen inside an engine before. Add to that, my Oil pressure has never been stellar. I have added a VDO guage and get about 25-30 psi cold and then it will drop to around 10ish when hot (no this does not REALLY seem to support my hypothesis.) ANyways, I would like to replace the oil pump with a better one, but not certain what that might be. I have not found any "high-flow" pumps for the non-suffix-B 3.9 like mine is. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:39 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

You can drop the oil pan and take a look at the oil pickup. If that's gummed up a new one is much cheaper than any oil pump you can put in there and it would certainly give you low oil pressure if it was clogged.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If you find it clogged, you may have more problems than just replacing the pickup. If I found mine clogged, I would flush out the engine, all the oil galleys on the engine as well as clean the heads/rockers ect. If the filter is clogged, you run the very real risk, I would say the probability, that one or more of the oil paths is also clogged or has a strong potential to be, and you could starve your bearings of oil. That could be disastrous. Take some pictures of what you find--we would love to see them.

Personally, I am in Lucas's wagon and have seen, including my own, the pickup become loose. What year truck are you in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:04 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
If you find it clogged, you may have more problems than just replacing the pickup. If I found mine clogged, I would flush out the engine, all the oil galleys on the engine as well as clean the heads/rockers ect. If the filter is clogged, you run the very real risk, I would say the probability, that one or more of the oil paths is also clogged or has a strong potential to be, and you could starve your bearings of oil. That could be disastrous. Take some pictures of what you find--we would love to see them.

Personally, I am in Lucas's wagon and have seen, including my own, the pickup become loose. What year truck are you in?
I saw a 90 at Huntington Service Center getting a new motor because of that same thing. The bolts to his pickup rattled loose and it fell into the sump. The oil pressure light went on and the owner stopped, checked his oil, saw it was fine, and kept driving. Freaked me out that I actually pulled the pan off my 90 when it started to weep and retorqed the 2 bolts. Won't hurt, just be sure to prime the pump after you drop the sump.

Neil
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM
rovernutzz
duncan goodchild
16x defenders...... so too many !

so i have a strange one with my 4.0 V8. the oil light comes on above 1500 rpm and is off below it. i have looked through the forums and can only find details on the usual, light coming on at idle or all the time.

anyone got any ideas ? i checked the oil and it is at the full mark on the dipstick.

i am more of a diesel nut so dont often have a gas engine in one of my rovers. this engine will be coming out early next year for a diesel conversion but i would like it to last me till then atleast......
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

I have similar symptoms with the Perkins 6-354 in my boat. The engine is about 38 years old, and I have owned the boat since 1987. The oil pressure at cruising speed (2250 RPM) runs about 20 PSI, but when I slow down it rises a bit. It hasn't changed much since I bought the boat. I've done a lot of head scratching, and I think it points to a clogged strainer. Unfortunately, I don't think I have room to drop the pan with the engine in place, and I don't have a handy way of pulling the engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions