Oil lines and fires - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 11th, 2006, 01:36 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Oil lines and fires

I know this thread has been done, but this one is not the debate about "why they burn" (as we all know they do) but one for solutions for those looking.
ECR is currently working on complete fix for the oil cooler lines using 100% off the shelf parts that will move the oil cooler lines away from the RH exhaust manifold with SS lines with no custom work, or custom made parts needed for the 1994-early 95 D90 or 1993 110. I'll post data and part #s on that soon, we are doing the mock up one now.

For others that have taken this porblem in hand what are your options and feedback.

#1. you can remove the adaptor between the engine and the oil filter and remove the lines all together
#2. you can replace your oil cooler lines with factory new ones
#3. you can sleeve your oil cooler lines in heat reflective material
#4.... ??

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thumbs up Sounds good

Sign me up for a batch of whatever you come up with as soon as you're satisfied with the solution... I have yet to make the upgrade on my 97ST.
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:00 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

The 97s present a problem for "off the shelf" parts so far due to the fittings in the radiator, but we will look into it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

So far as I know, all the problems with the oil lines has been specifically due to failure of the sub standard crimps at the ends. I have a spare set of lines at my local hydraulic place that has done a lot of these lines in the past and so far the only problems they have seen have been with the crimps as well. I would love your feedback on this, especially if you have seen other types of failures.
Old August 11th, 2006, 06:23 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

I have seen dry rot cracks in the middle of the lines and decay in the rubber line near the manifold. I think the crimps are bad and the lines themselves can burst from all the accounts I have heard over time. In my opinion one of the best things to do is get the lines away from the exhaust manifold.

Follow-up Post:

Quick question...
Has anyone seen a 97 D90 burn? The oil lines are different so...

Old August 11th, 2006, 06:49 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I thought 97 lines are no where near the manifold? They have quite a bit of pipe run before they turn to tube.

At any rate, look at my Tdi solution here:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=9071

This takes care of the crimp, bad hose quality issues. Just a bit of hi-temp wrap and you're done.

At less than $50 per hose!
Old August 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
I have seen dry rot cracks in the middle of the lines and decay in the rubber line near the manifold. I think the crimps are bad and the lines themselves can burst from all the accounts I have heard over time. In my opinion one of the best things to do is get the lines away from the exhaust manifold.
It's ironic that this thread started up today. I was driving back to work from lunch today and smelled
something burning, almost like a stinky diesel truck. I pulled over and discovered oil pouring from the oil pressure sensor, onto the diff and flinging itself back onto the cats. In just a minute of driving, I had lost almost two quarts of oil and I think I was only a few seconds away from setting the truck on fire. If the cats had been hotter, I think it might have gone up in flames.

My point in telling this story is that I'm wondering if oil pressure sensor failure has ever been mis-diagnosed as a failed oil cooler line. I had my lines rebuilt by a local hose shop last fall, btw.

Check those sensors!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I've gone with a full replacement. Mocal theromstatic sandwich plate, off the shelf hose with crimped Cost me $200 including a good crimp tool for the double ear clamps, the new sandwich plate was about $75.00

Mocal part number is SP1T and has 1/2"BSP female threads on it. The radiator fittings I have found some that have a face sealing gasket on them that I want to try. I have a couple spares I think, I can send them to you if you want to evaluate them.

www.siegecraft.us/mocal.htm

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Hans, that a nice setup. Do you think it's much different from SS lines?

Old August 12th, 2006, 08:32 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I'd be interested the ECR solution and would gladly sign up for one. In the interim I have wrapped my oil cooler and steering oil lines in reflective heat shield material that I had lying around. The cooler lines are way too close to the manifolds!
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:44 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
My lines burst and smoked but did not catch fire. This was in my 94 D90 which I have since sold. My 130 does not have oil cooler lines but my Disco does. My temporary solution was to by some asbestos lined heat shield hose and cover the lines. This may not prevent the lines from bursting but it will prevent oil from spraying all over engine and manifolds. Here is a picture of the stuff I use. I also use it on the fuel lines on my 130, keeps the fuel cool and prevents vapor lock and also prevents fuel spraying on the engine in the event of a fuel line rupture.

The picture is of just a small piece. I can get more at a reasonable price if anyone is interested.
Attached Images

Old August 14th, 2006, 08:59 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
I'd be interested the ECR solution and would gladly sign up for one.
Just FYI, we won't be selling a kit or anything, this isn't a sales pitch. I'm going to set up a kit that uses available speed shop parts and pass on the part #s so anyone who wants it can go do it themselves. If theres one thing I hate it is mail order, but I do think people need to get rid of the stock oil cooler lines that pass so close the manifold, because if the failures of the stock lines are heat related, or bad crimp related... they gotta go.

In the Green Hi-Cap we built, those lines were visual perfect and had about 12,000 miles and that truck still went up. The more I hear from people on the list that have had issues, the more I think the stock line suck.

Old August 15th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Just FYI, we won't be selling a kit or anything, this isn't a sales pitch. I'm going to set up a kit that uses available speed shop parts and pass on the part #s so anyone who wants it can go do it themselves. If theres one thing I hate it is mail order, but I do think people need to get rid of the stock oil cooler lines that pass so close the manifold, because if the failures of the stock lines are heat related, or bad crimp related... they gotta go.

In the Green Hi-Cap we built, those lines were visual perfect and had about 12,000 miles and that truck still went up. The more I hear from people on the list that have had issues, the more I think the stock line suck.

I don't see what's wrong with selling a kit. A lot of us simply don't have the time or quality parts sources in town. The last thing I want to do is go from store to store looking for each part. You are not pushing surgical grade fittings for idiot lights, after all. This problem burns trucks.

After reading this again, though, I remembered ECR doesn't really like to ship parts. You work with Rover's North, right? Maybe put together a kit available for sale via them.
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:32 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

A kit for your year (94) already exists. Do a search!
Old August 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
A kit for your year (94) already exists. Do a search!

Relax, mine have already been changed out. I'm not "in the market" if you will, just offering some thoughts.
Old August 15th, 2006, 03:13 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Nah, we hate the mail order business.

The purpose of this is to offer a solution for the DIY guy to go to any speed shop and buy the parts with us already doing the research. If someone wants to buy a pre-done kit that is cool. I've seen a number of "kits" for sale out there, but the ones I have seen are re-inventing the wheel in my personal opinion. It can all be done with standard parts with no truck mods, that is the info, I want to provide to folks is all.

If they want something more expensie or more "trick" there are tons of mail order shops ready to take the orders. Do a search for those items.

No, we don't work with RN. After what happened with Badger we will never show RN anything we develop. Our relationship with RN is one way. We buy parts... they sell them to us and that is it.

Old August 16th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Mike (defender13)....

Braided stainless lines will probably be more abrasive resistant than the ones I used, but with that sandwich plate you could also do up braided stainless too if you want if you get the right hose and connectors, since it uses somewhat standard fittings on it.

I've just never been a fan of the end fittings that usually get used on the stainless lines. I find them to be way too bulky and hard to tell if they are sealed properly, plus the hose is just harder to work with.....especially trying to cut and connnect it without unravelling the stainless braid. I also have had trouble finding the actual info on the stainless hoses regarding pressure and temperature ratings, so in this case I went with something I knew was capable of doing the job.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:25 AM
TurkD90
Nedim Aruz
1995 D90 SW

Speaking of Stainless steel oil kits...I came across this from trailhead a few months ago. Its on my list to buy but was wondering if anyone here had experience with them?

http://www.trailhead4x4.com/18401.html
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:24 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I would love to get my hands on a kit like this for my 97. I have not heard of any 97's burning, has anyone else? Untill I can find a good kit, I will have an extinguisher ready.

97 D90 SW
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Ya know... I'm a little baffled.
A good number of the posts I see on this board are in the "too expensive" vien. Someone always saying there is a cheaper, better way. Then with this thread I wanted share and get info from others on how to fix the oil lines cheap and well, on your own with no custom parts and no need to order a kit from a "Rover expert". Some offered great solutions both cheap and trick, but then the posts turn to "buy this costly kit", but as soon as someone would put together a kit and try to make a profit on it the kit would be looked at as "too expensive".
I don't get it. I guess it is that some want cheap DIY and some want to buy a kit as they don't have time to make up all the pieces, and others want to buy a kit and then whine about the price.
It gives me a wicked headache.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fire