Oil lines and fires - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 16th, 2010, 02:45 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
That set up is real close to our fix, but Russell has now come out with some new pieces that eliminate the need for the adaptors in the radiator and they also now have units that fit the factory oil cooler ring/adaptor so there is no need to buy another (unless you want to).
Pix to follow soon.
Mike I took your guys DIY list from way back when and was lucky enough that my radiator didn't need the special fittings. So as far as I am concerned you guys already offer a solution for the DIY guy. I think my total was like 89 bucks from Summit and about 45 mins of time to get the length of the hoses right. It's not really a difficult job, the problem was the knowledge research which Mike and Hans have done and been nice enough to pass on to the group.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
TheBeast
Dane Block
1994 D-90 #1440

I looked at the ECR fix and the Trailhead fix.... Does anyone have a preference as to which one they like better and why?
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It doesn't matter. Both do the same job. In fact they might actually look the same if you hold the lines next to eachother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:15 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
In fact they might actually look the same if you hold the lines next to eachother.
Not really.
Our latest generation lines are done with an abrasion covering over the length of the line for added protection.
After nearly blowing a SS brake flex line in Moab we have changed our set up to add this additional protection just in case the oil line touches an AC line or anything else.
Hard to see but you can see it here:
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/227.html
Ours also use alloy fittings, not sure but I think the Trailhead units are steel. Strengths and weaknesses of either could be debated, we picked the alloy so that if something happened to the fittings down the line you can just get a replacement from Jegs or Summit.

I do agree that both will do the same job.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM
TheBeast
Dane Block
1994 D-90 #1440

Thanks ECR. I ordered from you today. Does the kit have everything I need to do the job or do I need some other materials? I read someone used white plumbers tape!? What will work best for making sure the new lines are sealed? Forgive my ignorance....
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:54 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Thanks ECR. I ordered from you today. Does the kit have everything I need to do the job or do I need some other materials? I read someone used white plumbers tape!? What will work best for making sure the new lines are sealed? Forgive my ignorance....
We suggest an oil change at the time when you put the lines on (although it isn't mandatory) so you'll need oil and filter stuff. Other than the tools to do the job you will not need any other parts.
Teflon tape can be used if you like, but the threads are NPT so it isn't required. It doesn't hurt and some swear by it, but isn't required with NPT threads.

Although not truly required, if you want to have an easy time of the install make sure you have a wrench big enough, and thin enough to remove the viscous fan from the water pump pulley. Pulling the radiator shroud and the fan makes the job a lot easier because it gives you the space needed to make it easy.

Its pretty much just a "remove the old and install the new" type of job. Nothing tricky at all.

Old February 24th, 2010, 09:51 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I stand corrected. The abrasion covers are a nice addition
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Cecil6304
Cecil Tisdale
97 D-90

I'm changing the lines this weekend. I plan on removing the fan shroud and fan for ease of acess. Does the fan coupling have normal threads or are they reversed?
Thanks,
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM
gas-man
Robert/Mazzarella
97/D90 ST: Sold

I just did the job on my 97 D90 and the fan coupling is normal threaded....righty tighty, lefty loosey.

ECR,
Why can't the oil line make contact with an AC or other line? Is there a threat of significant heat transfer or is it the rubbing that will cause the lines to fatigue? Thanks.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:44 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas-man View Post
ECR,
Why can't the oil line make contact with an AC or other line? Is there a threat of significant heat transfer or is it the rubbing that will cause the lines to fatigue? Thanks.
It is because of potential line burst failure.
There is no heat transfer issue.

SS braided lines are great and super tough, but they are only tough because of the braiding on the line. If the line rubs on something and some of the little braid fibers break it can cause the line to fail/burst. The line gets it strength from the weave of the small SS fibers. If you get rid of some of those (by it rubbing on something) it can blow long before you think it would.
The engine shakes... the radiator doesn't, so there is some potential for failure if it is directly rubbing on something.

I learned this the hard way with my 90 in Moab. I had a SS brake flex line blow because of a very minor rub.

Our lines are designed to not touch anything, but just in case they do we have the added protection of the material on the outside... before you get to the SS line.

If you have one that is rubbing you can put some heater hose or something between it and the AC line or whatever, as long as it is soft and will stop any rubbing you'll be fine.

Old February 26th, 2010, 01:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

As always, Mike is dead on right. for an example, lotus installed a metal line too close and they all are wearing through now. I caught mine in time, but it was not long for this world (of course the oil cooler line failed too, but that had nothing to do with rubbing).
Old March 1st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

Mike,

Is ECR going to have another batch of the 97 lines in the future? Checked the website and says that they are currently sold out. Right now I just have my stock lines running through some thermal sleeves (in case they do break the hope is the oil will not spray and cause fire). But would be looking to change them out next time I need to change oil.

Thanks.
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:11 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krna View Post
Mike,

Is ECR going to have another batch of the 97 lines in the future?

Thanks.
I'm on the fence on that.
To go back to mail order on the 97 lines we would need to have another batch of 97 engine adaptors made, and honestly, sales of 97 oil lines have been basically non-existent, so I'm not sure we are going to pony up the $$ for another entire batch of adaptors. We install plenty here at the shop, but although I do not know the reason why almost no one buys 97 oil line kits.

Old March 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

Interesting to know that not many were being ordered. Is the best idea just to check on the website? If so I will just keep checking there until my next oil change, and if they are not available, go with the trailhead version and put the sleeves back over them to keep from rubbing.
Old August 13th, 2010, 02:16 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
This one looks electrical.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...ht_8308wt_1009

I recall seeing this truck I believe at MAR many years ago. Too bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post
This one looks electrical.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...ht_8308wt_1009

I recall seeing this truck I believe at MAR many years ago. Too bad.
The seller has no clue what he's auctioning:

HERE IS A RARE FIND A 1995 RANGE ROVER DEFENDER 90 DL III THIS WOULD MAKE A GREAT PARTS JEEP.
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Resurfacing thread - Batinc all the parts on clearance to change the lines out at close to half price due to buying up inventory from a speed shop going out of business. Including the doughty washers and the connections to the sandwich plate, my total was $84bucks with shipping.

parts i ordered

45 deg. xf45-8 qty. 3
90 deg. xf90-8 qty 1
hose. fce-8 3ft
AM18an8 qty 2
dc-m18 qty 2

http://www.batinc.net/mocal-overstock.htm
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
Resurfacing thread - Batinc all the parts on clearance to change the lines out at close to half price due to buying up inventory from a speed shop going out of business. Including the doughty washers and the connections to the sandwich plate, my total was $84bucks with shipping.

parts i ordered

45 deg. xf45-8 qty. 3
90 deg. xf90-8 qty 1
hose. fce-8 3ft
AM18an8 qty 2
dc-m18 qty 2

http://www.batinc.net/mocal-overstock.htm

This may be a dumb question, but is the 95 oil cooler line setup similar to the 94 that you have? If so I may just get the same setup.
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
dont know unfortunately. I'm starting reassembly and I have found that the fittings I bought to connect to the radiator don't mate up with the stock ones so I'm going to replace the radiator fittings to match the new parts I bought. I'll post the part numbers once I figure them out.
Old May 19th, 2012, 03:09 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
I can't figure out how to go back and edit, but the parts I have there don't really work, so please disregard them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fire