Oil lines and fires - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

pull your lines take them to a heavy equipment or semi truck shop & have them put new rubber on your lines. Fast cheap & stonger than anything you will find in a kit..............................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
I would love to get my hands on a kit like this for my 97. I have not heard of any 97's burning, has anyone else? Untill I can find a good kit, I will have an extinguisher ready.
The fittings in the 97 radiator make it a bugger for a cheap kit.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtracer
pull your lines take them to a heavy equipment or semi truck shop & have them put new rubber on your lines. Fast cheap & stonger than anything you will find in a kit..............................................
Agreed, but that won't get them away from the exhaust manifold, and in my opinion they are far to close to that heat source.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
The fittings in the 97 radiator make it a bugger for a cheap kit.

Follow-up Post:

Agreed, but that won't get them away from the exhaust manifold, and in my opinion they are far to close to that heat source.

I had the ones on the D1 covered. BUT I used is Hydraulic line thick as shit with steel braid in the middle it is pretty tough shit & for 60$ well you get the idea.
I assume the lines on a 97 D90 is similar to a 96-99 d1?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110 resto 012.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	6274   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 resto 011.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	6275  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

For me, cheap is a relative term. If it's a radio antenna that will probably get snapped off, or a seat cover or something else that isn't important I probably steer more toward the cheap side. But if its a safety issue, or off-road reliability, it changes my attitude on price just a wee bit.

When it comes to things such as catastrophic fires, blown engines, and a known serious issue with other possibly nasties from these lines failing.... spending a couple Ben Franklins to get it RIGHT doesn't seem too expensive to me anymore. I probably could have come up with a cheaper set of parts and lines, but saving $50 wouldn't be worth it once I see those happy red flames next to my wife's legs.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

what i did with the 110 oil lines

Hans I did pretty much what you said. I had the line & one fitting so it was easy to do the braided line I just routed mine a little different. on a difficulty scale 1-10 its a 2. like Hans said the worst part of the braided is the fittings but not that bad. I will add an oil cooler just too many projects not enough daylight!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oil lines 110 001.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	6289   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil lines 110 003.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	6290  

Name:	oil lines 110 005.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	6291  
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:06 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

That set up is real close to our fix, but Russell has now come out with some new pieces that eliminate the need for the adaptors in the radiator and they also now have units that fit the factory oil cooler ring/adaptor so there is no need to buy another (unless you want to).
Pix to follow soon.

Old August 17th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

That thread in the rad sux. I used these fittings because the id was the largest I could find.
I felt if I am gonna go bling i should do the whole thing>>
I thought about bypassing the rad but I got into a hurry. I wanted to drive it not just work on it.
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:18 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

It looks good to me.

And your 110 won't have any oil fires.
I run those fittings in other cars of mine and they do not leak and once you do a couple they are easy to make... plus they have a little "bling". Nothing wrong with that. IMO.

Old August 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

OK, not to steal anything from anyone, and because it was asked what to do with 97's I went down to the local Hydraulic place (US Hydraulics here in Manchester) and asked what he could do for me. He said that he could cut off the old rubber part of the hose and weld on fittings, then he would make up new hoses that could be easily replaced.

Now I know this rout has been suggested before, but not too many liked it because it lacked "bling and price. They said for about $75 per hose (so $250 for the set) he could rebuild my lines with Teflon hose covered with braided stainless. The hose is rated at 1500 PSI and 450*.

If someone wanted this setup I do have an extra set of the 94 stile lines here that he could make up, and if any one has then I would take an extra set of 97 lines to have rebuilt and use for swapping.

Now my question is does this sound like a good deal? Is there anything wrong with using the same metal ends? Oh and if you wanted to by pass the oil cooler I am sure he would make up a set that could do that for a bit less.
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Nedim,
I have the setup from Trailhead 4x4 and it seems to be working great. I am always checking to see if there are any leaks and have been very happy with the lines so far. I will replace any line that may cause a fire. I replaced my power steering lines just for piece of mind. I spoke with Eric at Trailhead 4x4 and he was very helpful. Give him a call, I don't think you would be disappointed.

Old August 17th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

If someone wanted this setup I do have an extra set of the 94 stile lines here that he could make up, and if any one has then I would take an extra set of 97 lines to have rebuilt and use for swapping

Mike the 97 lines & 94 are not the same IMHO
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Kneel
Neil Flanagan
94 D90 ST #1092

It seems to me a lot of trouble to repair a system that is ineffective at best. I could be completely wrong to so please correct me. HOWEVER, I hit the lines in both my 90 and the Disco with the IR thermometer and never has there been a temp difference less than .1F on the return in either of the trucks. I removed the stock plate and lines almost two years ago on the 90 and haven't looked back.

I'm sure there is a better way to measure the oil temps in and out to get better readings than surface. Perhaps determining the effectiveness of the oil cooling system is your fist step to finding a complete fix...
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:26 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how much was your set from trailhead?
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtracer
If someone wanted this setup I do have an extra set of the 94 stile lines here that he could make up, and if any one has then I would take an extra set of 97 lines to have rebuilt and use for swapping

Mike the 97 lines & 94 are not the same IMHO
I know they are not the same, but replacing the rubber part on either set is the same task.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneel
It seems to me a lot of trouble to repair a system that is ineffective at best. I could be completely wrong to so please correct me. HOWEVER, I hit the lines in both my 90 and the Disco with the IR thermometer and never has there been a temp difference less than .1F on the return in either of the trucks. I removed the stock plate and lines almost two years ago on the 90 and haven't looked back.
The part that the shop would be replacing is the part that fails, the flexible rubber part. The metal ends don't fail unless you bend them, so I am not worried about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneel
I'm sure there is a better way to measure the oil temps in and out to get better readings than surface. Perhaps determining the effectiveness of the oil cooling system is your fist step to finding a complete fix...
This is why I was thinking of making a bypass hose for the 97s, as the oil cooler adapter is part of the front cover on 97's.
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
how much was your set from trailhead?

I just got a set from Rover Accessories. They were $297 w/ shipping from CA to CO. They said they had one more set left after mine. Can't wait to get these swapped in, but running Holy Cross City first on sunday with RedRover (JP).
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:42 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
I just got a set from Rover Accessories. They were $297 w/ shipping from CA to CO. They said they had one more set left after mine. Can't wait to get these swapped in, but running Holy Cross City first on sunday with RedRover (JP).
I got a set from Rover Accessories too. Good stuff! I found that the bottom hose was a little tight (length wise), but it worked out OK. I bought mine a couple months ago for $245. They must be raising their price.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:08 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Some points:

1. As Kneel said above I think it's about time we checked oil temp through the cooler setup. If it's not cooling it down enough then ditch it and fit a real system. Using synthetic may completely avoid any heat issues and make a cooler unnecessary.

2. As I said in another thread (Tdi cooler lines), you can take your lines out and do them locally for $50 or less per line. That gets you top quality hydraulic parts that are serviceable and better than these overpriced kits.

I hate beating this point to death, and I understand some of you girly-men don't want to put in this much effort, but you will be the better for it. I improved my Tdi SETUP - not just by the hose replacement.
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
I got a set from Rover Accessories too. Good stuff! I found that the bottom hose was a little tight (length wise), but it worked out OK. I bought mine a couple months ago for $245. They must be raising their price.

To follow up on my last post, the kit was $285 so the price might have gone up. Here is a pic of it. Looks pretty sweet. Not sure how I am going to install it since someone stole my tool box out of the d90 last night (sorry, really pissed) that is vail for you I guess.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010075.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	6296  
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:40 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Those muffins look tasty!
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Well I bit the bullet and just got the Rover Accessories (TrailHead 4x4) oil cooler lines. My set is Cad plated though.
Impression?: more like sherman tank hosing! cost? $275 plus ship.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fire