Oil Lines - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 30th, 2007, 01:17 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Oil Lines

I have had my Defender only two weeks and my head is spinning with thoughts of possible mods. I was wondering how many people have upgraded their oil lines to stainless, which ones they used, and if they also changed the temp gauge to a vdo one? I am not planning on doing this right this second but I figure next oil change why not.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Sam_rover
Sam

I took out my old one, and had a shop convert them to SS. Cheap insurance
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I used the parts list from ECR and ordered the kit through JEGS.

Works great, I sleep at night but kept the fire extinguisher in the vehicle anyway.
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Helihntr
Hunter Seley

Change your oil cooler lines NOW! Dont wait for the your next oil change. I'm sad to report that my buddies d-90 burned up about two weeks ago. Luckily he was close to his home and was able to get to a fire extinguisher before it burned to the ground. Lots of damge though $$$. The week before the fire I changed my lines. After leak checking in the driveway I took it out for a test drive a blew all the oil out cause the old seal wasnt seated properly. I called my buddy to tow me home. After we got my 90 home I crawled under his to look at his lines. They looked old and we started talking about swapping his out soon....week later he was on fire. Does anyone know how many defenders have been lost or had severe damage due to fires? THe bottom line is this can and will happen to you if you have the LR lines....just a matter of time.

P.S. my buddy is going to post a lot of info on his fire shortly....
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

The cheapest route is to take them off and plug the radiator fittings. You just remove the sandwich plate altogether and stick the oil filter right back on.

I have been doing that for a few months now with no problems that I can tell. I had my lines rebuilt with braided stainless in the rubber section and I will put them on over the winter when I change my oil again.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

I went with teflon hose sleeved in SS braid and routed them away from the passenger side exhaust manifold. I had mine made by a local industrial hydraulic shop for around $100. Money well spent IMO. It was the very first modification I did.

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I cant find the parts list on ECR's site. I have read the oil line page a few times.
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:41 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Do what Grover did and use an industrial hose shop. They know what king of temps and pressures different hoses can handle. I had mine re-done out of aeroquip blue hose, it's the same stuff we use to feed a couple thousand psi of synthetic oil to the starter of a Rolls Royce RB211 gas turbine. If that hose can't take whats under your hood then nothing can. I wouldn't waste your time at an automotive shop as they are usually into horsepower or just making things look blingy. An industrial hose shop bases their business on fitting the right hose for the job.
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

My shop Replaced mine recently. Did not go stainless. I had not read all these posts. Wish I had. At least I know I have fresh new lines. I will keep an eye on them, and probably go stainless next time.

Flagg.
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:09 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Agree with Andy, ask a real hose shop for the best hose. They told me to go with this high-strength industrial hydraulic hose, like the stuff you see on a front-end loader. They took my old lines, brazed on some stuff and built some really bomber hoses for about $40.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

Barry, welcome to the club! Get the lines changed ASAP. I had mine done by British Car Service. They are located near LAX. Their phone number is 310-216-3400. I don't remember how much they charged for the lines as I had them installed while I was having a lot of other work done as well.
Old August 4th, 2007, 05:45 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Replaced them with the same LR piece. ECR is out of stock until September, did not have the time nor is there anyone near me to fabricate SS. Guess what my xmas present will be.
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I have a rover accessories kit for the 94 style radiator if anyone wants to buy it from me. Brand new never mounted.

I realized after the fact that I have a 95 style radiator and this kit would not work. It is the same as the ECR kit except that it also has a new mocal sandwich plate.

PM me if you would like to buy it. 275 plus shipping. Was close to 290.

If you search my old posts you should be able to find a pic of it...
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what do the guys with the later style rad have to do? Are we stucK? I will try and get mine rebuilt I imagine I just hate to have them off for any longer than they need to be off.
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:17 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

If you choose to go with the OE LR oil lines a quick and easy mod which ought to help the lines last is to get the heat insulation sleave that cover the fuel lines. You can cut in half and one sleeve will do the rubber portion of both oil lines.
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:58 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

ECR has a list of the bits that you can then order from Jegs or some other place. That's what I did and it is cheaper to boot.
Old August 19th, 2007, 08:43 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

I made up several sets of Stainless Steel lines last year for a group buy. Still have two sets and they're available for $77, including the fittings. I'd be happy to get these out of the basement and into your truck. If you search the threads for Oil Lines, you'll see the original post, parts list and vehicle configuration.

Email me if you're interested.
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:13 PM
hartman
Edward Hartman
1997 D-90

Are the 97 D-90 oil lines prone to having this problem too. If so, where are the aftermarket replacements?

Thanks
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:20 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I have a 95 and ECR said their kit won't work based on photos I emailed. Anyone know where I can have my lines rebuilt in Denver or where I can order a complete kit? I am not so mechanically inclined to install these myself.
thanks,
alex
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:35 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias
I have a 95 and ECR said their kit won't work based on photos I emailed. Anyone know where I can have my lines rebuilt in Denver or where I can order a complete kit? I am not so mechanically inclined to install these myself.
thanks,
alex
I got Ken's kit for my '95. I still need to buy the new sandwich plate. I've been running without oil line since July (when one of them bursted, lucky me, no fire, "just" a lot of white smoke and some stress....).
This is _very_ easy to do yourself. When I say "easy" I mean "easy". If you think you can fix something in your truck or replace a wheel when you have a flat, then you can do this yourself.
Many people have had their lines rebuilt. Seems like OE replacement run slightly over $100 for both lines (I just saw a thread with part # and prices for the '97 D90).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions