Oil Light When downhill braking - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 19th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Oil Light When downhill braking

Ok, here's the problem. When I brake hard on a downhill my oil light is coming on and it sounds like one of the lifters is sticking. Typically I have found this to go away once the engine rev's a little bit. No I don't have a pointy head, I found this out on the trail and had no choice but to rev the engine to get up some of the other hills. Anyway does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening.

Thanks

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldewin
Ok, here's the problem. When I brake hard on a downhill my oil light is coming on and it sounds like one of the lifters is sticking. Typically I have found this to go away once the engine rev's a little bit. No I don't have a pointy head, I found this out on the trail and had no choice but to rev the engine to get up some of the other hills. Anyway does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening.

Thanks

Chris

Sounds to me like your oil level is low, or it's a really steep hill, and the pickup tube is getting exposed. The pickup tube is at the rear of the oil pan, and nosing over too much and hitting the brake too hard can easily slosh all the oil to the front of the pan.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

No, thats not it. The oil level is full and this happens on your typical city street.
I just went out and tried it and light has gone out and I drove it around the block and the lifter noise went away. If I jamb on the brakes hard going down hill it will come back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

hmmmm.... I wonder if maybe the pickup tube is cracked? The light and the lifter tap mean it's a definite drop in pressure, not a false symptom. How many miles on the engine?

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:04 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

either the oil pick up tube is blocked or cracked and or the oil pump is on its last legs. If as you say you can get this to occur on the flat under braking then the oil pump may be the culprit

Old September 20th, 2006, 08:38 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I had the same thing happen on 2 different rovers.

In both cases the bolts that hold the pickup tube in place came loose, hopefully yours is as simple as that.
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Gentleman Thanks,

It looks like I will be pulling the pan and checking the tube.

Chris

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht