Oil light on under hard braking - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 20th, 2015, 08:14 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Oil light on under hard braking

I have read around and some think its horrible, some think its sump seals or bad design...
2.5 D exmod...

When I jump on the brakes hard, or brake reasonably hard down hill, i get a slightly delayed brake warning light. Just for the duration of the hard braking.

I'm thinking it might be a bad sump seal or something. It also is a bit slow on shutting off the light on cold start. Colder, the worse it is. Speaking to a couple other owners, they've witnessed similar.

engine otherwise runs gangbusters. no flicker at idle.

thinking pump or sump.

i'll pull the pump this week or weekend... anything to check? Or is it a simple replace and see?

or is it my ph3 or whatever cheapo oil filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2015, 10:14 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

From your description it sound VERY much like not enough oil in the crankcase. With the small filter mine takes 7 USquarts on an oil change. If you only put 4 quarts in like most other vehicles, you are starting out by being down 3 quarts.
Your other suggestion just don't sound like reasonable causes to me.

If you don't do the oil change yourself, what is the person using as a reference to fill it. I wouldn't trust the dipstick until it's proven right. Too easy for a PO to have modified or adjusted it, even put an incorrect dipstick in it.
Old April 20th, 2015, 10:33 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
its PO was the army.. I doubt they'd have extra dipsticks around.. but never know.

Hmm... well I do my own oil changes of course, but... I don't remember being confused between what it called for and what It took. I'll double check.
6 litres?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2015, 12:52 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Someone recently showed a pic of the dipstick tube partially pulled out, which would have given a normal reading while actually leaving the level low. Might be something to look into.

-Jeff
That would be me.

The dipstick tube slips through the olive over a lifetime of pushing the stick back in. On mine, it was to the point of taking slightly under 5 qts to read F, as opposed to ~7. Best to get a new dipstick tube (and mark where it should sit in the gland nut) or you could drain and refill to book capacity and notch your dipstick.

I'd bet on low oil level being your problem.
..tolerant Wife...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht