Oil light flickers during left turn - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 24th, 2013, 07:21 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Oil light flickers during left turn

So I'm stumped trying to figure out what might cause this by external means. I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this before I drop the pan and start poking around.

This just started the other day after about 80 miles of highway driving. I currently have Rotella T 10w-40 in the truck (3.9).

Obviously this isn't just related to the wheel being turned. It happens whilst driving and turning left as well as when stationary and parked leaning towards the passenger side.

I have no other flickering of the light (at idle for example). Yes the oil level is fine. No I do not have an oil pressure gauge - just the idiot light.

Any ideas about what I might run into?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2013, 07:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Oil pick up partially blocked by crap, usually bits of right stuff RTV from the pan.
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Best case faulty sensor...worse case pump. There's not a whole lot of figuring out on this one...IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2013, 07:34 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

mmmkay. I'm fairly certain the sensor is good. I actually replaced it 4 or 5 years ago.

The leaning/left turn thing is what was throwing me as far as why it's happening.
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Time to drop the oil pan, inspect/clean/replace the pick up and clean the oil pan.

And while you are at it, add an oil pressure gauge.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 24th, 2013, 08:19 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Oil pressure gauge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Time to drop the oil pan, inspect/clean/replace the pick up and clean the oil pan.

And while you are at it, add an oil pressure gauge.
Before pulling the pan, follow this good suggestion to hook up a calibrated oil pressure gauge you know is accurate on a temporary basis just to verify that the idiot light is functioning properly.

This will assist your decision making before you remove the oil pan or decide what your next course of action is.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 24th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Could also be loose bolts on the oil pick up--this may account for the loss of suction when the truck is off camber.
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:46 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Could also be loose bolts on the oil pick up
I have had this happen to 2 rovers and know of several others that have had this happen as well.
Old June 25th, 2013, 08:11 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Check for a loose connection at the sensor
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 25th, 2013, 08:18 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Could also be loose bolts on the oil pick up--this may account for the loss of suction when the truck is off camber.
I like your theory.

Quote:
Check for a loose connection at the sensor
That was the first thing I checked. It's definitely related to the truck being off-camber though.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the pan is coming off this week. I'll let you know what happens.
Old July 7th, 2013, 02:36 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Well the oil pan has been dropped and cleaned (it was pretty clean to start with). I also took the oil pickup off and cleaned it out (the bolts were tight). The screen itself looked fine. I also did the filling it with gas test to check the entire assembly for leaks (it passed).

After reassembly, it is still showing the same behavior. Of course it makes sense since I didn't really find anything amiss.

I think my next step is checking everything electrical (including the sender) so I can truely rule it out. Then fit a pressure gauge so I can get an actual idea of what's going on.
Old July 7th, 2013, 03:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Well, that is both good and bad news. If swapping the sensor and checking the grounds does not work, I would put on oil pump rebuild kit in it if the pressure is actually low.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions