oil light flickers after Oil Lines are replaced - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 27th, 2006, 11:32 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

oil light flickers after Oil Lines are replaced

I just replaced my oil cooler lines (phew!) and I was driving home from my parentís house which is a 3 hour drive, and noticed about 30 mins into my trip that the oil light came on. I pulled over and checked it out, the levels seemed fine. So I kept driving.

Then I noticed if I drove up a little hill on the highway the light would flicker lightly and then come on full red, but if I was going down a little hill on the highway the light would shut off. If I was level the light was off.

I also tested it at a high speed, 80mph or more the light was off, but at around 70mph the light came on again. (yeah, I bet this is a real stupid thing to do)

By the end of my 3 hour drive the light seemed to be on more than off, and uphill vs. downhill really didnít matter as much as the light was on more than not.

Is this the sensor telling me I need oil? Or my pressure is low? Or my new oil cooler lines are messed up? Where is the sensor located?

It has never done this before, just happened after the new lines were put in. also the light barely ever comes on in the city streets at low speeds, only seems to be on the highway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The oil light is a pressure switch, it is located on the oil pump body..... look for the only wire down right next to the filter.

How old is the oil itself? Mine occasionally starts to have lower pressure when the oil gets time to change, or if I use too thin oil.

Another possibility is low oil level, maybe try adding half a quart. Then I'd start looking for other causes if it's still on.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 28th, 2006, 09:18 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

that makes more sense now if the oil pressure switch is located down by the oil pump because i took off the oil filter and housing to redo my oil lines. maybe the oil housing wasn't tightened enough?

the oil is about 2500 miles old and its 5w30. maybe i can check out the seal between the oil filter housing and the part that connects to the oil pump, and also check ou tthat wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I would start with that, and an oil change as well. Old 5w-30 can get VERY thin as it hits operating temperature. And if you are in a lot of around-town traffic, as opposed to highway driving, then you start to accumulate a lot of other stuff in the oil that thins it out even further.

I'd suggest either a 10W30 or 10W40 as per the manual. It only calls for 5W type oils if you are in weather with temperature below 15F as your average. Considering the weather here in NY lately, you're way too thin of a viscosity when the engine gets up to temp in the middle of the day.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:12 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

I totally agree Hans. I think the oil is just weird right now. NY weather is so warm this year for winter, so i might put in a 10w30 and see how that works out. replacing the lines and putting new oil in and then messing around with that might of done something weird to the oil.... plus its almost time for a change anyways. im gonna do this tomorrow and let ya know how ti ran.

BTW, where on LI are you? in in Astoria, Queens
Old December 29th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

mine did the same thing. added a new press switch
Old December 29th, 2006, 04:49 PM
mffoster
Mike Foster
94 D90, 2007 Supercharged RR

No Oil Pressure is bad...

I'm very suprised to hear how many people keep driving when the warning light indicates low oil pressure. I installed an oil pressure gage in my D90 the first year after I bought it in 94. The pressure has always been fairly low (relatively speaking, and confirmed with different gages and sending units). I also had an episode driving home from work once where the oil light came on. A glance at the gage confirmed that there was zero pressure. I immediately shut down and towed it home. I dropped the pan to see whether the pickup had fallen off, but it was on tight. I pulled the oil pump and that was fine. I eventually just put it all back together, reprimed the pump, and everything was back to normal. I still have no idea how it lost prime when full of oil and driving, but who knows? One thing that did help increase the pressure a bit was to "port out" the oil cooler housing while it was off the truck. I eventually changed over to a thermostatically controlled Mocal adapter plate. That didn't help pressure when running, but did slightly reduce the time to get pressure when starting the truck from cold.

My opinion, for what it's worth

Mike F
Old December 29th, 2006, 05:43 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Thanks guys. I came home tonight and slid under the truck to check out the sensor and lines and I noticed the one oil cooler line that goes from the bottom of the radiator to the housing some how got a little kink in the line! when i installed them i swear i looked the lines over and made sure they were fine, but i guess some bumps on the road might have brought it to the point to twist into itself (these are the braided metal lines that bend and whatnot).

so im thinking this kink in the line is what is making the light flicker, seeing as some oil can get through there and some can't. you guys agree?
Old December 29th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
Thanks guys. I came home tonight and slid under the truck to check out the sensor and lines and I noticed the one oil cooler line that goes from the bottom of the radiator to the housing some how got a little kink in the line! when i installed them i swear i looked the lines over and made sure they were fine, but i guess some bumps on the road might have brought it to the point to twist into itself (these are the braided metal lines that bend and whatnot).

so im thinking this kink in the line is what is making the light flicker, seeing as some oil can get through there and some can't. you guys agree?
A "kink" in the line will cause a restriction in oil flow. (it decreases the hose cross-sectional area) For a given diameter of the teflon hose, there is corresonding minimum bend radius. Here is a link to minimum bend radii for teflon hose.

http://www.findguru.com/CompanyProdu...tID~71507.html

Be careful not to bend the hose beyond the designated radii.

Cheers...

Old December 29th, 2006, 06:47 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Thanks mike, the "kink" is like a garden hose right now. im going to unkink it in the morning and drive it around to see the results.... should be positive!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, ht