Oil Leaks and Pressure build up on 19J 2.5TD Engine - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 11th, 2014, 03:15 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Oil Leaks and Pressure build up on 19J 2.5TD Engine

I have read that the 19J engine 2.5TD has some inherent problems and some recommend changing the engine to a 200TDI. But for those of us who think spending $5000 or more on an engine is either too much or fool hardy, we must deal with engine problems in a less costly way.

My engine has good compressions around 400 PSI. It doesn't appear to burn oil and runs relatively strong and on a good day I can get up to 65 MPH.

My oil breather cap has two hoses connected to it (which I don't think is common on this engine). One hose goes into the engine block at the back and the other goes to the air filter hose. I installed an oil separator to reduce the oil dirtying the air filter on that hose.

However, the engine leaks oil (which I understand is "normal" on these engines) but annoying and I started to trace the leaks and stop them. I found one leak at the back of the engine along the top of the bell housing seam (I think that's what its called). Sealed it temporarily with a high temperature silicone gasket compound and the leak stopped. I discovered another leak at the bottom of this housing and patched that one.

The leaks seem to have diminished but now the oil breather cap is being pushed up and some oil spray is appearing on the bottom of the hood when it lifts up. I appears that preventing the oil leaks results in an increase in pressure in the rocker cover causing the breather to lift up. It doesn't come off completely. It was not lifting up before I plugged up the leaks.

Any suggestions on how to deal with the oil leaks and this oil breather cap lifting off? Anyone have this problem before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The oil leak is probably the gasket between the clutch cover and the block. They commonly leak and you need to pull the engine to change it.

Sound to me like the line to the intake is plugged. It should provide a strong suction all of the time on the engine. The line should be between the turbo and the air filter. There are genuine oil separators that you can get. I would install one of those or an aftermarket one.

Maybe take a picture or three so we can see what is going on.

Oh and you should be able to pull 75 mph, IMO, in a 90. 65 is non-turbo territory.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Note that there is a filter inside the cap itself. Make sure it is not plugged.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2014, 03:47 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
John a few more details. I did install a genuine oil separator (Moroso 85474 Universal Air/Oil Separator) and it does work. It catches the oil which I can drain out periodically.

I read that the published top speed on this truck Defender 90 and the 19j 2.5TD was 65 MPH. I installed a boost gauge on the turbo charger and it appears to provide boost as designed.

The hose and air filter connected to the turbo are clean and not blocked.

------ Follow up post added August 11th, 2014 03:49 PM ------

Sorry, I saw this message after my first response. I cleaned the cap and it is clear. I was going to buy a new one but can't find one with the two hose connections.
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Just my own experience. With the 2.5NA in my 90 at sea level, 70 mph was no problem (on the flat, no head wind) for cruising. With the 200TDI, 85 mph. It depends on what gearing you have, but the power should be there.

Have you verified the cap is not plugged? Have you run it with the cap off? You should get lots of suction on the cap. Put your hand over the valve cover hole. You should not get a lot of outward flow. If you do, you have a head gasket leak or piston blowby.

Old August 11th, 2014, 04:49 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Are you referring to the oil breather cap? If I remove the breather cap, I will have fumes and oil all over the engine. The cap is under pressure and vents oil and air into the two hoses.
Old August 11th, 2014, 05:01 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Just gotta face it the engine is worn out, either replace or re-ring it.

If it was sitting for a long time could be the rings are stuck, for Shit?s and grins you could give it a seafoam treatment.

Look up seafoam treatment in any forum

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old August 11th, 2014, 05:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Catch can.
Old August 11th, 2014, 05:25 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
The compression on the engine fine. It has not been sitting idle. It just leaks oil and as I eliminate the oil leaks it appears the pressure is building up. Could be just a coincidence of course.

Changing the engine out brings with it a risk as well. Maybe the replacement engine will be worse and cost a bundle of $$$, so I would prefer to trouble shoot what I have.

I have installed a catch can with the oil/air separator.
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:16 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
Rich, you are kinda thinking about it wrong. You sealed up where oil was leaking from, but from your description of how much oil/vapor comes out of the fill cap would denote that you are building an excessive amount of crankcase pressure. Crankcase pressure comes from air (well really it's combusted fuel and air from the power stroke) leaking by the pressure rings (the top two piston rings) and going from the cylinder/combustion chamber into the crankcase.

So, like others have told you in the above responses, if you cannot use some sort of oil/air separator to lower the pressure, the engine needs a re-ring overhaul. The added crappy part is that combustion byproducts and fuel are getting into your engine oil along with the air.

Not to be a "the sky is falling" guy, but look up crankcase explosion and you'll see what happens when crankcase pressure gets too high with fuel in the oil.

Hope this helps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine