oil leak(s) coming from my drive train - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:49 AM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

oil leak(s) coming from my drive train

I have noticed oil dripping off my drive train before (at least I think its my "drive train") - and I was told that almost all 4WD vehicles have it. (mostly from the "box" in the middle of the drive train with a bunch of bolts around the edge - I hope that means something to you all)

Well - that is all fine and good - but I DON'T LIKE IT.

How do I stop it? I only assume oil leaks are not good. Is it simply replacing seals? Is that a tough job - or an expensive one because clearly I'd need a shop to do it.

If the oil level gets too low - what happens?

From what I can tell in the service manual - checking the level is a pain in the neck without a lift. So I'd rather fix it than have to add fluid daily/weekly/monthly.

thanks for the suggestions

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well first you have to find where the oil is comming from, there are ALLOT of places that can leak on a rover. nTry fallowing the oil back up to where it is leaking from, also you may be able to figure it out by what color or what type of fluid it is. It may be as simple as spilt oil from your last oil change or it may be a leaking Transfer case that is nea running dry and could self desrtuct. There are also dies that you can add to the oil so that it glows with UV light to help find leaks.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:06 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

From your description it kinda sounds like you're talking about the oil pan. Get under there with a socket wrench and tighten all those bolts before you do anything else. See if that stops it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:15 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You can look at it philosophically like this:
1) Properly maintained mechanical assemblies should never leak oil ever
2) Any time you take hundreds of metal parts and bolt them together, oil will leak out.

Anthing that transmits drive from the motor to the axles is part of the drive train. The only leakage options in that series of parts are the trans (red fluid) and the trasfer gearbox (gear oil).

If the fluid is on the parking break drum and slung all over the place, its probably from the transfer case. If its red and dripping, its from the trans. Engine oil could get on the driveshafts and stuff, but it would be more of a coating after having been distributed by air rushing under the vehicle.

Learn to check the trans and tcase fluid levels the same way you do your engine. Both have fill-plugs for filling (duh) with fluids, but to check the level, you just remove the fill plug and stick your pinky or a little probe of some kind in the hole. If it comes out with fluid on it, its pretty full. If you have to stick the probe or your finger way down in the hole, you should add fluid until its just barely spilling out.

The trans fill/check plug is on the pass side and requires a torx-55 bit (available at sears) to undo. The fill/check plug on the t case is on the rear of the case just to the left of the parking brake drum and requires a 1/2 square drive to remove. Please dont cross-thread them putting them back in.

After all that, a common problem is output seals on the tcase leaking oil. You can search for lots of results on that one.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:18 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT94D90
From your description it kinda sounds like you're talking about the oil pan. Get under there with a socket wrench and tighten all those bolts before you do anything else. See if that stops it.
I wouldn't just go cranking on bolts if you are not sure which one's to tighten and how hard to tighten them. Aluminum strips out real easy.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:21 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Clean everything up first and then see where its coming from.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:07 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! THANKS!

It is BLACK oil. And it did look "flung" aroung the whole drive shaft.

It is in the shop right now being looked at. My fear is that the shop will want to put in a whole new transmission or something hugely expensive.

Would the drive train/shaft/whatever make noise or feel funky if the oil was low?

thanks

Mike
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:10 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If the oil all leaked out of the t-case, it would probably just run hot until it self-destructed, but unless you have a bullet hole in your t-case, you can almost be assured that all the oil wont come out all at once.

The shop might very well want to put a new tcase in (if that is the problem) if they'd rather R&R (remove and replace) a component instead of fixing it. It is possible to replace the seals on the tcase, but its a little more involved that fitting a new oil pan gasket. Bentley Publishers sells big fat manuals, and one of those would be a good purchase for you.

You'll be able to run for a long time by simply topping up the oil periodically, and if you dont know when the tcase oil was last changed, its probably due.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:11 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Silly one that I never used to fix until recently.... make sure to change the copper crush washer on the drain plug once in a while during oil changes, or it WILL drip from there.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:03 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the replies! I wish it were better news!

Sounds like I need a new transfer box! That's a $1600 part that I would rather put in a new fancy top or seats.

Oh well - you gotta love these trucks to own one! Some people keep sick pets alive - I keep my sick 90 alive.

Mike
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:13 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Wait a second, your joking right? They're not going to replace the T-case because it's leaking are they? Is there something else wrong besides the leak? The LT-230 T-cases are good until they stop working, some make noise and all but they still run good.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

When you say leak, do you mean that you can observe it dripping? Or do you mean that overnight there is a spot of oil on the ground? 'Cause I can get you a tin pan to put underneath for $1500
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:52 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm sure the'll love to sell you t-case, but really, its a go/no-go item. Unless its literally hemoraging oil, you can run with it for a while.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:08 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

it's making a funky clicking (maybe more of a clanking) sound when I release the clutch.

It just started yesterday and had me worried. Not sure if it relates at all to my oil problem.

The shop is telling me that I need a new case and not to drive it until then!

Thoughts?

Mike
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:11 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Mine is making a high pitched whine among other noises and I'm still driving it. I'd go to a different shop for a second opinion. Sounds to me like they see someone with no rover experience and are trying to take advantage.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
A funny clicking noise when you release the clutch? Sure would be good to eliminate the clutch release (throwout) bearing before spending other $$.

Obviously its ultimately pointless to sit here and do long-distance diagnoses, but the recommendation of the shop sounds alarmist.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Is it there in all gears? How about in Neutral? Hi and low range? We'll get to the bottom of this!
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:09 AM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

Let me say this - When I brought it in the shop yesterday my rec was that it "clicked" in all gears. I am not really sure if I entered 5th or not. Not in neutral.
When I brought it home from the shop yesterday it sounded like a broken MAC truck. It "hummed" and clanked and each time the tire rotated it make some horrible sounds.
I called the shop and they said that it probably just finally broke and may have happened as they diagnosed the problem but they were ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that when it came in that it was the trans case and it needed to be repaired.
I took the truck to another shop on the way home and they said that it is the trans case. My only concern is that when I brought it in to shop #1 it sounded like a little clicking occassionally and when I picked it up it sounded like it was going to die on me - I have never heard a vehicle sound worse!
SOOOOO - I am at a point where I will never know what was wrong with it yesterday morning.

To be fair - I have used this shop a lot before and they have always done good work and been fair with me. I shouldn't be so suspicious but its hard not to be. Especially with what I have read on this page!

I TRULY appreciate all your help - but I think the chance of solving this mystery died when the shop (and I am speculating here) "forced" the D-90 to click and blew out what was left of my trans. case.

I am interested in your thoughts still.

thanks

Mike
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmmm, a clicking sound, the t-case's that I have haerd die made loud whinning and then gears grinding. U-joints click and clack pretty bad. Have they pulled the inspection plate off the bottom of the case? U-joints are easy enough to change/check as they are exsopsed, and there has been reports of shops saying that a t-case was bad when it was only a U-joint on the drive shaft. At the least pull the inspection plate (onlylike 10 bolts) and have a look at the inside. Here are some pics of the inside of mine when it died.

http://www.defendersource.com/discus...s/16/2252.html
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

I have noticed a ever so sligt clicking when I release my clutch in 1st 2nd and now 3rd. When I am using the engine to brake...

The clicking has gotten more pronounced over the last day. It is parked now. Transfer is leaking oil badly. Tranny is leaking oil minimally (normally).

What ever happened with your transfer case? I think mine just is low on oil. The seals on it are probably bad from the heat. Is your sound gone with a replacement? Was it much worse when engine braking?

Where can I get a kit to seal that baby up? Also where can I get new gears (if I have missing teeth)?
I really don't want to go for any crazy $$ right now. I just bought a locker and air compressor which set me back.

Mike H., If I drop the cover on the transfer, can you use rtv to seal it? It kind of looks like that is what is there now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions