oil leak(s) coming from my drive train - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

hey Heath, yep you can use RTV to seal it up. I am still in limbo as to why the gears broke in mine. I would try and find what exactly is leaking and fix that rather then trying to pull the entier thing appart. And from what I hear if you need to replace a gear they are not cheap. Most T-case's go from lack of oil or from contaminets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

I bet, I wouldn't even know where to start when it comes to fixing a transfer case... I've done a tranny before, but I assume a transmission is simpler. If I am lucky it will just be a seal. I will have to put it on a lift, put some dye in the tansfer case oil and hit it with a light. This should be a fun weekend I also need to install the air locker.

When I drain the fluid I will inspect all of the visible gears so I will know the extent of the damage.

Do you know the torque on those bolts?
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:23 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Now I am curious. Almost always in 1st I hear 1 (single) click/light clunk as I start let the clutch out and start the vehicle in motion (only from a dead stop and generally when starting on an incline or flat but almost never down hill). My truck has 106K on it, but I heard the same thing on my 95 D90 at the time with only 40K and I put atleast another 12 on it before selling with no issues. I have my fair share of spots on the drive, but no constant drips - or I have not sat there long enough to witness - and it appears to be mostly from the 3.9. I have alway just considered it one of those LR drivetrain anomolies/slop. Should this be something to be very concerned about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Matt:

1. Clicks while rolling, starting or stopping, often come from worn bushings in the suspension, particularly the control arms.
2. Since you are new to this 110, replace oil cooler lines (fire hazard if old).
3. The T-cases in the 93s had a design flaw. Go to Steve Parker Land Rovers in the UK and get an oil feeder plate. Mounts under the power take off plate and sprays oil into the main gear that is likely running dry without it. I can't find Parkers site, but there is a method to determine main shaft play to see if it's too late and needs replacing. Some research and you can find this. Others, like Mike Green in Livermore, offer to replace the gear and shaft with corrected parts.

Doug W.
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath
Do you know the torque on those bolts?
It's not much, I'll have to check the book tonight, I think it was in the 40 nm area.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions