Oil leak rear wading plug - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 25th, 2014, 07:04 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Oil leak rear wading plug

I have been sealing the numerous oil leaks with some success.

Last weekend I repaced the diaphragm in the boost pump.. This resulted in marked improevement in engine performance but a new oil leak from the rear wading plug in the clutch housing.

Is this the rear seal leaking?

To repace the seal does this require lifting out the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It could be engine oil, clutch fluid or gearbox oil. Figure that out first. The gearbox or engine needs to come out to fix an engine leak.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 25th, 2014, 08:11 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Pray it's clutch fluid. It's the easiest to fix of the three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2014, 01:33 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Its engine oil, black and dirty.

What is interesting is that although it dripped a little before since I changed the diaphragm for the turbo boost, it leaks about an once of oil when I park. The front wading plug is also leaking more. I assume with the improved boost the engine is generating more pressure.

Too bad because the engine is performing much better with the new diaphragm but now I have more leaks.
Old October 27th, 2014, 01:46 PM
javelinadave
-
-

That sucks. You are going to have to pull the engine or the trans.
Old October 27th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The boost diaphragm should have no impact on oil leakage.

Is your crankcase breather system clear and working?

I would be much more worried about the leak from the timing case, than the clutch housing.

Old October 27th, 2014, 02:22 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
I installed an air/oil separator in the breather that reduced the air filter getting full of oil. And I cleaned out all the breather line hoses and the breather cap. But that didn't affect the leaks.

I was able to seal up some of the leaks around the top and sides of bell housing using JB weld as well.
That did increase the amount of oil coming out of the front wading plug in the timing cover. So I put in a small catch can from the front wading plug. This works and I empty that catch can as well. I know this sounds silly but I figured it would save my driveway without damaging the engine.

The rear wading plug really started leaking a lot right after I replaced the diaphragm . I didn't change anything else. The boost gauge now goes up to a little over 10 in all gears. Before in gears 2-5 the boost would drop off after reaching 3. The engine power improvement and highway speed improvement is noticeable. But now this leak!

I was thinking of putting another catch can connected to the rear wading plug (I know, another silly idea) as a stop gap.

Since the oil is leaking from the front and rear wading plugs I assume the front and rear oil seals have to be replaced and if so pulling the engine out I believe is the best way?
Old October 27th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The front seal can be changed in place and is normally done when doing the timing belt.

I'm still suspect on your breather system. What exactly have you done? What engine is this?

Old October 27th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Also the note about a lot of oil in the filter makes me think your engine has other problems.

Take off the oil fill cap and put your hand over the opening. Rev it up. You should get suction from the breather system. If you get pressure, then the breather system is not doing the job or you have excessive blowby from something.

Old October 27th, 2014, 02:37 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
This is the 19J engine.

I haven't put my hand over the oil breather cap but I know it is pressurized because that's how the oil is getting to the oil/air separator catch can.

The breather cap has two outlets one goes to the hose to the air filter and the other goes to a hose that connects to the back of the engine.
Old October 27th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Ahh, so you have disconnected the breather from the intake.

Anyway, there should not be a noticeable outflow of gas. If there is, you have ring blowby or a head gasket leak or valve seal leak.

When was the timing belt done last?

The amount of oil leakage and on both ends is worrysome. You either have a lot of crankcase pressure or bad bearings or bad luck.

Old October 27th, 2014, 02:51 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
The breather goes to the catch can inlet and then from the outlet of the catch can back to the air filter intake hose.

I changed the timing belt out a couple of months ago. There was no visible oil inside the timing cover when I did it.

I suspect it is a lot of pressure in the crankcase but the engine compression test was fine.
Old October 27th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
When you say "air filter intake hose", do you mean the hose between the turbo and the air filter?

Did you change the crankcase seal when you did the timing belt?

The "blowby" does not need to be from the rings and would not affect compression. It could be the head gasket or valve stems. Just test for blowby as I suggested to see if the crankcase is being pressurized.

Old October 27th, 2014, 03:15 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Yes, the hose between the turbo and the air filter.

I did not replace the crankcase oil seal when I replaced the timing belt because. The inside of the timing cover was dry. I didn't see any oil leaks from it. I thought better leave it alone.

I suspect that as I started to seal up the oil leaks this caused new leaks to appear and I maybe chasing my tail on this.

I will do the test you suggested this coming weekend but I think it is pressurized because the breather cap sometimes is lifted up but not off the rocker cover.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions