Oil Leak, is it the oil pan or rear main seal??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Unhappy Oil Leak, is it the oil pan or rear main seal???

I have a 95 D90 ST with an oil leak around the rear of the engine. It is either coming from the rear of the oil pan or from the small weep hole from the bottom of the bellhousing (could be the rear main seal) ... I would like to remove the cover at the bottom of the bellhousing to investigate, however I don't know what is behind it. Does this just cover the flywheel?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

yep, that is correct. If you pull that cover off, you get a nice view of the backside of the flywheel and ring-gear, but not much else. However, if it is coming through the weep hole, you should be able to see evidence of oil on the inside of that cover and on the inside of the bellhousing.

How bad is it leaking? You may also be able to plug the weep hole for a while, then when you later remove the plug you can see if anything accumulated behind it. I would be careful though not to let it get too deep behind there and contaminate the clutch plate.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:55 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I second that, plug the weep hole to see if oil is comming from the rear main seal. Don't plug it for too long, the last thing you want is oil in the clutch. if it is the rear main... that sucks it's a big job.

If it is the oil pan... no biggy it is an easy job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thanks for the advice. The leak is not too bad...only a drop or two a day (BTW it only has 65K on the clock). It is more annoying than anything. Resealing the oil pan is no big deal but it sounds like the rear main is. If it is the rear main, is this a sign that something worse is yet to come? Has anyone out there ever changed the rear main seal? I am avoiding full synthetic oil until I fix the leak.

Mike

95 D90 ST
Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:24 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

the rear main isn't a pressure seal, nor does it support anything. It's just there to keep oil from creeping out the back of the block. Unless it starts getting really bad I wouldn't worry much about it. You would be surprised how many cars on the road have had that kind of leak for thousands and thousands of miles.

I've always been curious if a crank scraper would help reduce most of those oil pan and main seal leaks by reducing the oil cloud inside the engine. But I haven't toyed with that idea at all yet.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions