oil leak. Head gasket? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2013, 08:12 PM
MGPete
Pete C
'95 D90 SW

Registry
oil leak. Head gasket?

I have an oil leak coming from what looks like the rear of the drivers side cylinder head.
Is it possible this is anything other the the head gasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2013, 08:14 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Rocker cover??
Old November 9th, 2013, 08:51 PM
MGPete
Pete C
'95 D90 SW

Registry
DOH!! That sure seems more likely, but it really looked like it was coming from the head.
Of course diagnosing it in the supermarket parking lot was less than ideal.
I'll do some more poking around under better circumstances. I was disgusted when I assumed head gasket....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I have to go with Jeff on this. The oil moves through the head to the rockers via the pushrods, not through the head and block junction. It does gravity feed back to the crankcase via the galleys on the outside of the heads, but not under pressure. It is pretty easy to tell if it has a leak once you pull the valve cover, so I would try that first. The only other easy thing to check is the end plate on the valley gasket. That could come loose and leak also.

Angus
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
If you have a cylinder head off and look at the head and block, you will see that it is pretty unlikely for the head gasket to leak oil externally. Coolant, on the other hand, is likely to leak externally from the head gasket.
Old November 10th, 2013, 07:34 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
If you have a cylinder head off and look at the head and block, you will see that it is pretty unlikely for the head gasket to leak oil externally. Coolant, on the other hand, is likely to leak externally from the head gasket.
i think you should recheck that statement , its very common that heads leaks oil they did it when the trucks were brand new . also porous aluminum was very common . ever see the paint markings on the back of the block they did that in the factory to
highlight potential casting flaws or porous areas .. back in the day we would jb weld those areas to slow the oil leaks down as a request from LR .

at any rate back to the oil leak ..check to see if the valve cover bolts are loose and then clean the back of the heads real good and drive it for a couple of days and recheck for the leak or problem in that area , intake gasket usually leak coolant over the back of the tranny on the right side .. in the front of the engine check the left corner of the head from underneath there would be another indication of a oil leak from head gasket area also check in the distributor valley if there is oil in there possibly timing cover gasket .....
Old November 10th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertek View Post
i think you should recheck that statement , its very common that heads leaks oil they did it when the trucks were brand new . also porous aluminum was very common . ever see the paint markings on the back of the block they did that in the factory to
highlight potential casting flaws or porous areas .. back in the day we would jb weld those areas to slow the oil leaks down as a request from LR .

I was talking about the head gasket, not the head itself. People often say their head gasket is leaking oil, which is not likely. If the head gasket was leaking oil it would likely be leaking back into the valley instead of leaking down the back of the block.

Defenders under warranty were before my time a Land Rover, but they still have issues with porous blocks leaking oil. That being said, we've only had maybe two at our dealership, so they're not that common. Land Rovers fix was to JB weld it:face palm: Our FSE said that repair has a 1:10 success rate.
Old November 10th, 2013, 10:08 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I was talking about the head gasket, not the head itself. People often say their head gasket is leaking oil, which is not likely. If the head gasket was leaking oil it would likely be leaking back into the valley instead of leaking down the back of the block.

Defenders under warranty were before my time a Land Rover, but they still have issues with porous blocks leaking oil. That being said, we've only had maybe two at our dealership, so they're not that common. Land Rovers fix was to JB weld it:face palm: Our FSE said that repair has a 1:10 success rate.
Time to school .....
YES head gaskets leak I've also have seen them pour oil out of the back of the head the gasket
the gasket material breaks down and allows oil to flow between the material and the nice shiny smooth metal of the inner gasket .... the oil is more likely coming from the drain back from valve train ..... pressurized oil comes up thru the block in the front of engine through the head and gasket into rocker shaft ....drain back is at the back of the engine...so the oil can travel up through the rear head bolt past the gasket and out the back of the head .. in any case figure high mileage motor goes through some serious heat cycles and expansion /contractions which loosen head bolts compromise the head gasket seal ....

as for Mr FSE ..... 1:10 maybe if he did it
you must clean and prep the surface correctly which means cooking the oil out of the porous spot with a rosebud and using some MEK .. 80 grit sandpaper and a controlled environment .. it takes some time to do it correctly ...

no disrespect but don't believe everything you read or hear ... real world knowledge takes time to acquire ...Watch and learn and never say you Know ... i still learn something everyday......
Old November 10th, 2013, 11:54 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes. Head gaskets leak oil and quite commonly. Almost always at the back too. Not sure why, but have seen dozens from my dealer days.
Old November 10th, 2013, 01:27 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
no disrespect but don't believe everything you read or hear ... real world knowledge takes time to acquire ...Watch and learn and never say you Know ... i still learn something everyday......
^This X 1000

Old November 10th, 2013, 02:15 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
^This X 1000

What??? How is getting at the facts a pissing contest? Get over yourself and unless you have something to add to the thread, move on with your snarky photo comments.
Old November 10th, 2013, 02:51 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
What??? How is getting at the facts a pissing contest? Get over yourself and unless you have something to add to the thread, move on with your snarky photo comments.
WOW... Took that out of context I guess. It's just a joke. My first reply, the second in this thread was constructive.
Old November 10th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Time to school .....
YES head gaskets leak I've also have seen them pour oil out of the back of the head the gasket
the gasket material breaks down and allows oil to flow between the material and the nice shiny smooth metal of the inner gasket .... the oil is more likely coming from the drain back from valve train ..... pressurized oil comes up thru the block in the front of engine through the head and gasket into rocker shaft ....drain back is at the back of the engine...so the oil can travel up through the rear head bolt past the gasket and out the back of the head .. in any case figure high mileage motor goes through some serious heat cycles and expansion /contractions which loosen head bolts compromise the head gasket seal ....
Fair enough, just based on my experience and looking at the oil passages I didn't think that would be the case.
Old November 10th, 2013, 08:11 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

I have a 97 Sw coming in late next week for leaking head I'll post some pics for ya..
Let's just get these defenders back on the road !!
Old November 10th, 2013, 10:43 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
WOW... Took that out of context I guess. It's just a joke. My first reply, the second in this thread was constructive.
Old November 11th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Oil leak????

On a Rover????

Round up the usual suspects.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas