Oil leak - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 6th, 2004, 09:59 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Oil leak

A few weeks after having the car I was lookin around under the hood. My defender should have been recently serviced but I checked the oil. It was nasty and black, looked like It hadn't been changed for years. So I went to pep boys bought some valvoline maxlife and a fram oil filter and changed the oil to the exact specifications of the service manual. Now my exhaust seems to be smellier and have a slight oil leak from somewhere not from the oil filter or the pan. Is this normal and temporary or did I screw something up? I made sure to change the oil exactly by the service manual. I checked the oil afterwards and the dipstick showed slightly over the mark. I put in 6.5 quarts exactly and let all the old oil drain out. Will the oil settle in and everything will return to normal or do I have something to worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

If you ever come across a Defender that isn't leaking something, check all the fluids.... they're empty. (Or was that CH-46 and 47 helicopters?)

Seriously though, I would inspect around the oil plug first, since many times the washer is old old old. It's a cheap part to replace, I do mine every other oil change or so. Also inspect the oil cooler lines for any leaks, as well as along the valve covers and front timing cover. If you still can't find it, lay out some cardboard under the truck immediately after you park it. This will show you where any fresh drips might be coming from.

Also, I'd reccomend going with either the K&N or Land Rover oil filters in lieu of anything else. They are the only two that I know for sure have a backcheck valve in them, and due to the layout of the oiling system it is possible that it can loose it's prime and if it sits for a while you'll have a dry startup. Over time, it does make a difference in the longevity of the engine but nothing that you have to go running out and changing filters immediately. Next oil change would be fine.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:29 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I replaced my washer and havent had any drips, also I tightend the bolts on the oil pan I was suprised somewere loose, might be worth a try.,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2004, 04:24 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

I have confirmed it is not from the oil pan or oil filter. I guess th lines then?
Old December 7th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Did you spill any oil on your exhaust when you changed it? If you did it will smell pretty bad. You may also want to check for leaks just above the exhaust manifold, your head gasket may be leaking. Just clean all the oily parts and watch for fresh oil to appear. More then likely your T-case or trans may be leaking also.
Old December 7th, 2004, 05:09 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
rear main seal! at least that is why mine is leaking. only leaks when it is hot. when it cools down, no leakage.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old December 7th, 2004, 07:04 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

it is oil i'm sure of that. I had no leaks before I changed my oil. It is not spilled oil. It is not coming from the pan or the filter. Is there to much oil pressure or what?
Old December 7th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't think it would be too much pressure as there is a relife valve in the oil pump to take care of that. Did you chang oil weight? Is valvoline maxlife synthetic?
Old December 7th, 2004, 10:23 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

yes i think synthetic but the oil is exactly the type specified having no service records for the car i have no idea what was previously in it. I'll keep checking to see if the leak continues. I put in 6.5 quarts but on the dipstick it is about a quarter inch or so over full.
Old December 7th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have heard of people switching over to Syn and then theyn had leaks.
Old December 7th, 2004, 10:37 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
change it again and try Mobil 1 for kicks. I have heard of the synthetics "cleaning" deposits and causing leaks. I think my D-90 leaked less after the switch to Mobil 1 haha.
Old December 7th, 2004, 10:47 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

I switched to syn on the Disco and it destroyed the driveway (leaked from every porous hole imaginable). Since I wanted to use syn Mobil 1..I did a combo of 5 qts syn and 1 qt Lucas Oil Stabilizer. After about 4 oil changes of the aforementioned combinations the engine has "adapted" to the syn and I have now found that I no longer need to utilize the Lucas. For the most part, I have mixed feelings about Lucas Oil stabilizer, as I have heard that it makes things "swell" (i.e. gaskets ect) which can of course lead to the deterioration of valve covers ect.

I usually let Lucas warm up in a big bucket of HOT water, then add it last when changing the oil.
Lucas because of its thick, goo-like substance; has the propensity to drop to the bottom of the sump rendering itself useless. My 0.02 cents
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:47 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

that is kinda weird that makes it leak. The 98 range rover seems to like it that's the same engine right?
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

It is because the synthetic is "slicker" and cleans better. As it begins to do what it supposed to do the buildup is cleaned away. I think that after deposits are cleaned away perhaps the gaskets begin to reform as the engine heats and cools.

I changed to Synthetic and oil pan gaskets began to leak, after a while however it slowed and was probably fine . . .but LRC was nice enough to change the gasket for me when I was in SC visiting

Old December 8th, 2004, 07:07 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah all of the rover V8s are pretty much the same RELATIVELY SPEAKING. IMO the lucas stuff is sketchy, would you pour bar oil for a chainsaw in your motor? Drain the oil and put in some mobil1, its obviously easier to add than take out. I think I use about 6 or 7 quarts I fill the filter up with as much oil as it can take. good luck man, o yeah Rovers leak.
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

I think I might be in more trouble than I thought. The leak is sourced from a hose that seems to run with the power steering.And yes I am absolutely sure this is oil. How much difference can there be from valvoline to mobile one same viscosity. I put in to the exact specs from the service manual and the same oil is in the rr and it does not leak or have problems. Other than the leak the oil seems to have improved the engine. It is smoother and quieter.
Having been around 2 rr's for the past 8 years I know about how rovers leak. Our 98 rr has had no engine trouble in its 80,000 mile life. The only bad thing mechanically has been that tricky air bag suspension.
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:14 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

A rover is a rover. Yes they leak, sadly so. I believe that my biggest leak came from the oil sump gasket, after tightening the bolts the leak had ceased somewhat; however the valve covers are still leaking. I have not looked under the hood of a D-90 in awhile so I am not for sure what hoses you are referencing. Are you able to tighten anything up?

This attached picture is AFTER syn on the 4.0 Disco..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cnv0404.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2039  
Old December 9th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Rus,

Don't neglect a hose leak. A quick search yields frightening results - engine fires. Check the "for sale" section and do a search on oil lines. Shelf life is about 5 years or so for OEM.

My heads are starting to go so I am proactively having them redone, so I ordered new LR hoses as a stop gap till the group buy get's finalized.

EwS
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Agreed, if it is in fact the oil cooler line leaking, it is a critical safety issue to fix that right away. Those lines are pressure lines, so it can progress to a spray instead of a drip. If you're unlucky, it will spray on the headers and start a major engine fire. Definitely not a "Drive until I get a chance" type thing.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:06 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Guys, I am going to get it checked out but it could just be the seal and I am talking about a couple drops a day. the puddle is maybe 3/4 of a square inch. i'll check and see if i need to tighten it but i am not going to drive it.
Forget everything above loose clamp problem solved

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions