oil in last cylinder/200tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 18th, 2011, 05:58 PM
snowkistdynasty
Jared Stone
1984 Defender 110

oil in last cylinder/200tdi

I have a 200tdi. I just changed all my glow plugs and the last one had oil all over it. What would cause this, head or head gasket?

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2011 07:08 PM ------

I guess it could be rings too, man this sucks!

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2011 07:09 PM ------

How do you know what head gasket you need, I see no hole,one hole,two hole or three hole?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2011, 07:22 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Does it run well? An oily glow plug could mean a lot of things like maybe it's no good, perhaps you should get a compression test before getting too worried. Don't forget Diesels burn oil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:55 PM
snowkistdynasty
Jared Stone
1984 Defender 110

It runs fine. There has been some smoke out the back just a tad when it is warmed up. But when it is cold it smokes like nothing else, until it warms up, then just a little smoke. I had a comp test done last year and the mechanic said it had great compression. So I am going to have it done again and now focus on the back cylinder. I just don't know much about this engine and I don't want to kill it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Mine smokes until it warms up in the cold. That's pretty normal. What does the smoke smell like? you would have to be burning a lot of oil to actually smell it in the exhaust as your diesel will burn crankcase oil quite nicely.
Did you use an ohm meter to check the oily glow plug?
Get the compression test for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I would not assume that it is a bad head gasket yet. The injector could need a good cleaning causing what you are seeing. Listen to Keith and do a compression test before you do anything. That is unless you can see that the head gasket is blown. You can take the injectors to a shop and have them cleaned and adjusted.
The head gasket size is determined by the piston protrusion. You may be able to see a marking in the head gasket around number three and four on the injector side. It is marked as you mentioned by 1, 2, 3, 0 holes. The thickness is in that order. You can search the Uk forums and they have some very good write ups on how to do a head gasket.
Old February 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Could just be that the glowplug is duff, and thus not burning the oil/fuel off of it... try metering it out with a voltmeter, see if it's open circuit.
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:38 PM
snowkistdynasty
Jared Stone
1984 Defender 110

How Do I check the glow plug?
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:58 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkistdynasty View Post
How Do I check the glow plug?

If it's still in the cylinder head, get a voltmeter, set it to Ohms (some have a buzzer that buzzes when there's a complete closed circuit)

Stick one probe on the engine block, the other where the power cable goes (disconnect it from the rest of the loop first) and see if there's impedance.

If its open circuit, then it's dead.

Or, remove it from the cylinder head, and stick 12v onto it from a car battery. touch the end with your finger... if it hurts, then its working

Just kidding... don't touch it, or it WILL hurt... you'll see the tip of the plug glowing orange like ET's finger.
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I agree this is the best way to test.

"Or, remove it from the cylinder head, and stick 12v onto it from a car battery. touch the end with your finger... if it hurts, then its working

Just kidding... don't touch it, or it WILL hurt... you'll see the tip of the plug glowing orange like ET's finger. "

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You guys are so funny, that is how I checked my glow plugs. Of course I do not touch the end. Well that is unless it is not turning red......Have to see if it is trying.
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:46 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I found something similar when changing out my plugs and i am going through about 3/4 litre of oil per 36 gallon fill up. No signs of low compression and new injectors so i am currently blaming valve seals or turbo seal and will be changing the valve seals at some point this month.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:10 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

this is deja vu, i've had the same symptoms on my 300tdi last monday.
I noticed lots of smoke at idle but it seemed to be running fine, the smoke cleared under high rpm however i also noticed that the sump was weaping oil at the sump to block gasket & there was also an increase in crankcase pressure when the oil filler cap was removed.

I had rebuilt the engine 5K miles ago with an Elring head gasket, when i stripped the head I found the gasket had failed between cyl 4 and the pushrod hole.

on the rebuild I used a genuine parts MLS head gasket hopefully all ok now as i'm off to morroco with it in april

as been said get a pressure test & check for leaks at the gaskets and pressure in the rocker cover

regards all

Gren

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi