Oil Fouling Air Filter - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 7th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Jason Hoffman
1986 90, RHD 200TDI
Oil Fouling Air Filter

I have a new to me ROW D90 with a 200TDI. I'm going through it bit by bit, changing fluids, addressing leaks, etc. I changed the air filter yesterday and found it to be soaked with oil. What could the possible causes of this be? I want to start down the path of diagnosing and addressing the root cause.

Old April 7th, 2016, 10:04 AM
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Be Careful. Maybe worn piston rings. The engine could be pressurizing (exhaust gasses moving in the wrong direction) and forcing aspirated oil up the breather, if enough of it gets into the air intake it can start running on its own oil and that's a recipe for self destruction. Google is your friend to find ways to check/trouble shoot. Compression check would be one place to start. Should not be a huge surprise given these engines are old and have a very limited useful life. The good thing is you can unbolt and rebuild it .

Old April 7th, 2016, 10:17 AM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
The oil is from the CCV system. Normally you should only get some oil while running, so it goes into the engine and not into the filter.

First check the CCV oil separator as per the manual.

Then check that you do not have excessive blowby.
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions