Oil Filler Neck unscrewed... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 4th, 2009, 02:43 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Question Oil Filler Neck unscrewed...

So I went to check the oil and after I checked the dipstick I unscrewed the Oil Filler cap. Needless to say it was a bitch to get off. I guess the last time I got the oil changed the tech must have screwed it on tight or something. Anyway, I screw it back on and try to loosen it to see if it was still sticking. This time I couldn't even loosen it. I turned it really hard and it finally loosened but the entire filler neck and cap came off together.

So, I finally got the cap loose from the neck and I try to screw the neck back into the rocker cover and the thing only turns a few times and sticks hard. I loosen it, take it off and look at the threads on the rocker cover and there's a bunch of residue or dried on oil or maybe some thread locker from the factory??? Anyway, I can't get the neck screwed down all the way now.

Any suggestions on how to get this back on all the way? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2009, 02:47 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Clean the threads (both on the neck and on the valve cover) and spray it with some penetrating lube. Also, make sure you are not cross threading it as this is my guess as to what your problem is.

Ron

PS, I always smear a little oil on the threads from the cap to the neck and be sure not to put it on too tight. By the time I am done with my truck, everything will come on and off easily between stuff like this and the antisieze on everything I take apart.
Old April 4th, 2009, 03:19 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

What type of penetrating spray should I use? will WD-40 work? I don't think I'm cross threading it. It seems to go on clockwise, correct? Or should it be the counter clockwise to counter the cap threading?

I'm definitely planning on oiling the cap threads before I'm done.

Thanks!

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2009, 04:29 AM
evilfij
evilfij

WD-40 would be fine. I am a PB blaster type of guy as WD-40 is not really penetrating lube, but for this application it will be fine.

I am pretty sure it is normal threaded, but you can tell by looking at the threads which way it goes in.

If you have completely fucked it up, I think I have a 4.0 valve cover floating around I can send you for cheap.

Ron
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:54 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Ok, maybe I'll go out and get some PB blaster. Don't think the threads are screwed. Twisting it both ways last nite made it go in clockwise.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Wow, so with a little patience, lots of PB blaster, a razor blade, and a little WD-40, I was able to get all that "hard candy" crap out of the threads in the rocker cover and get the filler neck back in place where it should be. A few turns in and out and it went in smoothly.

Thanks, Ron!

Brian

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM
evilfij
evilfij

You are welcome. Glad I could help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions