Oil Drain Plug Size? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Oil Drain Plug Size?

Hello all,

I want to install an EZ drain or Fumoto oil drain valve. The Defender is too old to come up on the Fumoto site. I ordered the EZ drain valve as spec'd for the Defender on the EZ Drain site, but the valve they spec'd is incorrect.

Can someone please tell me the correct size of the drain plug threads? I could pull the plug and measure, but I just changed the oil.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2015, 01:05 PM
javelinadave
-
-

What motor do you have?
Old May 20th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Sorry, that would be helpful wouldn't it?

4.0L V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2015, 01:23 PM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

I'm also interested in doing this. If you enter in a 1997, 1998 and 1999 Land Rover Range Range rover you get F106. On Amazon, it says it not compatible. Internet searches is not definitive. I'll check at the mechanics later today.
Old May 21st, 2015, 02:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What size does it look like or measure to? They used to be 1/2" BSP. A 1/2" NPT will work if that is what it is.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 21st, 2015, 02:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
See here: Search results for: 'drain plug' for different sizes. Each one has a measurement picture.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 04:30 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

I've been doing a little research and there may be only one option. Here were my top contenders for oil drain valves.

Left: EZ Oil Drain Valve. Center: Fumoto Drain Valve Right: Femco valve.

The EZ and Fumoto valves operate in the same way, except for the finish. I like that the EZ Oil valve is plated, and has a nice rubber cushion on the valve handle. The handles on both valves are spring loaded into a detent, requiring that they be lifted before they can turn. I think the likelihood of them opening unintentionally is remote. There are other valves I've seen for stationary industrial machinery that don't seem as secure. The versions I've pictured above have an accessory elbow, which I assume anyone with a Defender would choose.

Then there's the Femco drain valve. This is what I believe Difflock.com carries. To use it, first the cap must be removed. The oil doesn't begin to flow when the cap is removed. The oil doesn't begin to flow until you screw on the accessory drain hose. (This means, of course, that you have to buy the accessory hose.) The cap and the check valve provide redundant safeties.

A possible negative for the EZ and Fumoto valves is that you are at the mercy of the way the threads are cut into the oil pan and the valve. When the valves are screwed in, there's no guarantee that the orientation of the valve and handle will be optimal. With the Femco valve orientation's not an issue.

But all that is probably moot. Red90 above suggested that the thread size for the oil plug is 1/2-14BSP. I have no way to be positively sure of that other than to lay my hands on a bolt with that known thread size and try it, but I've looked elsewhere for confirmation and there is anecdotal consensus. I emailed the folks at EZ and Fumoto. EZ drain doesn't make a version with the right threads. Fumoto hasn't gotten back to me. But Difflock has version of the Femco with 1/2x14BSP threads, and they say it will fit a Defender in their product description.

I'm going to order the Femco valve and a right-angle drain hose. I'll report back and confirm whether it's the right size.

The instructions for changing the oil are to remove the cap, screw on the hose, allow the oil to drain into a suitable container, , remove the drain hose, replace the cap, and refill with fresh oil. I might alter the sequence. It might be a good idea to put some replacement oil in before replacing the cap, and check for any oil seeping out of the check valve - to be sure the check valve is not being held open by any debris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Drain Valves.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	121441  
Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:15 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Did you ask the folks at no spill systems?
Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I have a Fumoto 1/2" npt in my truck. Fits no problem. Works great. All my cars have had Fumotos for many years.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
1/2" bsp and npt are the same diameter and pitch. Only a different thread form. They interchange fine for this sort of application.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 12:00 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

You must change your oil an awful lot....
Old May 23rd, 2015, 12:31 AM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by rankar View Post
Did you ask the folks at no spill systems?
I believe No-Spill and Femco are the same product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
1/2" bsp and npt are the same diameter and pitch. Only a different thread form. They interchange fine for this sort of application.
Okay Red, I'm going to trust you on this one. I ordered the EZ-202 NPT 1/2-14. That said, I seem to remember reading once that they interchange fine in one direction but not the other. I don't know which.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
You must change your oil an awful lot....
You betcha. Every 6 months or 500 miles, whichever comes first.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 02:26 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
They are the same. I meant for you to call them and ask because I recall another member buying from them.

Here:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ift-54036.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
drain, drain plug