Oil cooler option - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Oil cooler option

I'm gonna take one more whack at this ol dead horse: Rather than replacing my original oil cooler lines (since ECR has made the observation that the factory in-radiator cooler is of little, if any, benefit), I am considering using a B&M, stacked plate, in-front-of-radiator auxilliary engine oil cooler, part number 70261. Do any of you have an opinion on why either (a) this isn't a good idea or (b) why this won't work?

If the oil coolers in our trucks are of a single-pass, water-to-oil type cooler, and since we know that engine oil not only lubricates but also cools the engine, it seems to me that we could gain additional engine cooling by going to a more efficient oil cooler. Not only that, this would take care of the cooler line routing at the same time. (BTW: B&M doesn't offer a vehicle-specific application for a NAS D-90; so be advised that the 70261 is a universal design cooler. However, I spoke directly with a B&M national manager who said this application would work)

Any advice on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The one thing to be cautious of though is over-cooling the oil. You don't want it too hot, but you also don't want it to get too cold where it starts to thicken up. It sludges up much worse, and you also start adding more internal resistance to the engine.

If you run an external cooler, make sure to have an oil thermostat in there somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:50 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
The one thing to be cautious of though is over-cooling the oil. You don't want it too hot, but you also don't want it to get too cold where it starts to thicken up. It sludges up much worse, and you also start adding more internal resistance to the engine.

If you run an external cooler, make sure to have an oil thermostat in there somewhere.
Is the mocal adapter thermostatically controlled? If not, do you know of a suitable one that is? It would be just as easy to use one of those and use the B&M cooler with it........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yep, mocal SP1T is the part number you need. Built in thermostat in the plate. Have one myself, love it.

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions