Oil Cooler on D90- To keep or not to keep - that is the question! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:54 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Oil Cooler on D90- To keep or not to keep - that is the question!

I'm doing some updating on my cooling system including radiator, water pump, and will be doing a refresh on my oil pump and have been debating whether or not to keep it off for good. Now, it won't be much additional cost to put together a set of new lines while everything is out, but I'm curious as to what folks here have done.

There are incredibly useful threads on oil cooler lines both DIY and pre-made kits, not too many on the oil cooler debate. Here's hoping this fills with great data and use cases for the future, and also for my benefit as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:06 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
My limited knowledge of thermodynamics sez that the engine oil can't get any hotter than the block. That assumes of course that the therms being carried away by the radiator are greater than the therms being put into the system thru combustion. The oil cooler is simply an additional radiator. In hot conditions I can see that it would help. Plus, the thing is already plumbed for it. I guess I would say that it's pretty much a 50-50 thing. If you don't mind the small extra effort to make it operational, then I would do that. Be sure that you use high quality armored hose and not the schmidt they used from the factory.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I would def keep it. The cooler the better in my book..

also if the engineers though you needed it, it is prob true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

I had mine removed years ago and haven't experienced any problems without it. It gets pretty hot out here in NM and I spend lots of time on and off-road in AZ and UT. As with all things Defender, your results may vary. It is amazing how some trucks seem to run hotter than others despite similar set up and maintenance.
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:13 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

"The engineers " saw fit to remove the oil cooler on Discos starting in 2003 I believe, but they also have aluminium radiators. I eliminated mine on my 4.2 cux setup with no problems but I have an aluminum radiator and an electric fan instead of the engine driven. Its pretty hot here too.
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The top-end is cooled by coolant; the bottom-end is cooled by engine oil. If you consider removing the cooler; you MUST fit an oil temperature gauge to make sure you don't exceed the break-down temperature of the oil in use or it degrades very, very, quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:58 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Interesting point Andrew. Your point is that the oil is not only doing it's intended job but is also potentially carrying away lower unit residual heat that is exchanged in the radiator. Is it fair that the heat exhanged in the oil cooler could decrease the cooling ability of the radiator? A temp and true pressure gauge addition would be a nice add on indeed.
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:01 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

It could. I personally am very big on instrumentation; accurate probes and gauges are the only real way to know what is actually going on under the bonnet.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Surfin' Elvis
Chuck
95 RRC 300tdi/wvo conversion

If it's a turbo-diesel, you must keep it, trust me!
If not, I agree that the block temp and oil temp will remain pretty much the same.
Install an oil temp gauge just to be sure.
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:48 PM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

The oil will most always run about 20-30 degrees warmer than the water depending on probe location (hottest in the pan). Agree the coolant cools the top and oil lubricates/cools the bottom. Higher rpm produces more temp in the bottom. If slow running/ low revs it may not be so important but high rpm produces heat which breaks down oil which leads to problems.
The best situation is to install an oil temp probe and then ask "Is it OK for my oil to run at "x" temp for "y" time?"
Jim
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:24 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I went the safe route:
- Disco (4.0): replaced OEM hoses by cheaper (on the short and long run) setup.
- D90 (3.9): replaced oil plate by thermostatic model + braided hoses.
In both cases, I kept the cooling system. The disco setup is to make the hoses easily replaced (for cheap) and the D90 setup is to have hoses replaced less often (???) and hopefully help the engine get to operating temp faster (unless I go wheeling, I drive it short distances).
I think when the radiator gives up (and stock setup becomes expensive), I'll get the separate oil cooler from the radiator.

They've been talks become about the oil cooler taxing the water cooler. I'll assume that the LR guys tested that for us and figured this was worth the trouble (probably in rare situation(s?)). So, i'll stick with this.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90