OIL Cooler lines TECH page - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 7th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Same thing you did, really, Just used brass barbs. I wouldn't use the oediker clamps, though, as they're near impossible to remove non-destructively. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2006, 06:54 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
I wouldn't use the oediker clamps, though, as they're near impossible to remove non-destructively. . .
How do you fasten the hose to the fittings if not those clamps?
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Good question. You can probably use EFI style hose clamps, the type that have some spring to them. But I wouldn't use the normal hose clamps like the cheap ones we put on heater hoses. They don't flex with the hose, and eventually loose a lot of their clamping pressure (which is why we have to keep going back to tighten them)

The Oedikers aren't the easiest to remove, but of all the hand-tool installed types they seem to seal best on a pressurized line. Anything better requires big tools to put on.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2006, 11:30 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Well, maybe this is a better question: Why would you ever need to remove the clamps? If/when the hoses go brittle (in 20 years), wouldn't you just rebuild the hoses anyway? You'd have the same problem with those Trailhead SS ones (or stock), wouldnt you?
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Jubilee clips. I needed to pull them when I had to retighten the fittings after a few miles. Or if you needed to pull the radiator.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:13 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Tell me where I'm naive....

Why don't we just buy a bunch of those Mocal sandwich plates and have someone make a bunch of flexible hoses for us (with the right fittings)? Forget the rigid lines and trying to reuse the stock stuff that we have?

One detail on Hans' design, do the end fittings have some sort of swivel on them so you can tighten the fittings on each end?

How would you spec the hoses? i.e. fittings, length, hose material

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions