oil cooler lines?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 3rd, 2004, 04:37 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
oil cooler lines??

Is this a easy job for someone slightly handy under the hood?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:40 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If you can thread ends on a garden hose, you can do this job. Access is cramped, but the hardest thing is disposing of the oil.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 07:54 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Jim - How long should this take a competent mechanic? I'm taking my truck to the local shop on Mon. for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2004, 08:12 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

15 minutes!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 08:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It shouldnt take a comp mech more than an hour or so. I really dont know what a Rover dealer or generic estimation guide list as the appropriate amount of time to be billed.

The man who drives a Defender equipped with 37-inch tires is right though, if you came by the house, we'd do it up quickly and you'd be right back on the road.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:16 PM
4WD-90
Christopher Stanish
1994 defender 90

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell
Is this a easy job for someone slightly handy under the hood?

Thanks
Hey Richard, It seems like a simple enough job. I could offer up some help. If you need a hand, let me know. Where "just outside of philly" are you?
Old December 4th, 2004, 10:20 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Thanks guys. Wish I lived a little closer, Jim.
Old December 4th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
last time I tried to get my garden hose on I couldn't do it. Do they screw on? maybe thats what I did wrong.
I might try this. I wasn't sure if you need any specific tools to do the job other then a few hand tools. drain the oil, put on the new hoses and fill the oil. I think I can handle that.

Christopher, I live in the East Falls area.

rich
Old December 4th, 2004, 05:47 PM
marcva
Marc van Aperen
1984 90 300 TDi

Just make sure you get the right hoses.

They sold me waterhose and I had to rebuild my engine.
(lost the oil, etc. , etc.)

Rgds.

Marc
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:04 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

After removing mine, I took em to the local hose shop and asked for some SS braided hoses made up ($100+). The guy talked me into letting him cut off the old hose and install some pretty standard rubber hose with clamps ($10). He said they'd last longer than the 90. But even if they didn't, I would only need to buy another section of rubber hose and push it on and tighten the clamps without having to get to and remove the screwed connections. Also, he recommended keeping the outside of the hose clean because they disinigrate from the outside in.
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:40 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd90
The guy talked me into letting him cut off the old hose and install some pretty standard rubber hose with clamps ($10). He said they'd last longer than the 90. But even if they didn't, I would only need to buy another section of rubber hose and push it on and tighten the clamps without having to get to and remove the screwed connections.
Are you joking? You mean standard hose clamps? Granted the oil system is not operating at extremely high (hydraulic-like) pressures, but I'm not willing to trust my engine to hose clamps. The cooling systems only uses hose clamps, but If coolant spews out everywhere ithen everything gets wet. If oil spews out everywhere, then everything catches on fire.
Old December 12th, 2004, 02:29 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Not joking. I trust my setup lasts longer than your original LR hoses. Also, I seriously doubt oil spewing comes from a bad hose clamp... that's a leak. Spewing oil comes from hose rupture.... the kind you get from the LR part. I should know... it happened to me.
Old December 12th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, it should theoretically be fine if he used high pressure hose and high pressure clamps. Modern EFI systems use fuel lines in the same pressure range, if not higher. If they are high pressure clamps and hose, he should be fine.

Might be something worth looking into.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions