oil cooler lines - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:14 PM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Count me in on the braided line. I think mine ruptured yesterday. Thanks to this forum I was able to narrow it down. Is the fix pretty involved or rather simple. After the liine ruptured and the engine was sprayed off I still could not tell where the oil was coming from. Is there a schematic of those hoses somewhere that I could look at before going in blind. Haven't looked at the workshop manual CDROM yet (computer is broken).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:23 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

The reason why I suggest taking your old hoses into a hose shop is the fact that the end fittings are damn near impossible to find on their own.

Trust me, it'll be MUCH easier to take your old hoses in, have them re-done and swap them in.

I've been down this road before. It ends in 'you take your old hoses in and have them rebuilt'.

If you look up about 6 posts or so you'll see where I wrote: "By the time you get your group order together you'll have ruptured your lines and toasted your engine and it will have cost you 12,000 dollars to get it replaced at ECR", or something like that.

You have to remove them anyway, why not take advantage of a local resource and take your hoses in to get rebuilt. It ain't that scary.

Old May 4th, 2004, 12:28 AM
CHRIS C
CHRIS CUSTARD
97 D90 ST

Dave is the place you found Grandberry Supply? My friend called them and thought they were pricey. Let me kwow what you find out, I may end up sending mine to ORME BROS, I talked to them last week sounds like they know their stuff. As far as the fittings Rob at Rover Accesories said it was a Land Rover Only fitting, he tried to find some with no luck and too costly to have made. Too bad these lines aren't the same as on a 95. While I'm at it I also am going to have transmission lines done. Is there any other lines anyone can suggest, might as well do them all at once. Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2004, 12:38 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Tea Gardens Auto A/C
29th Street & Indian School
602-955-5057
They do a lot of custom stuff for hot rodders.
He said about $60 or $70ish per line.
He also can make braided SS lines for A/C, oil, transmission, etc.
You have to bring him the hose already out of your vehicle unless it is an A/C hose. I have never used his but my friend with a 69 Vette swears by his work! Hope this helps. Let me know if you use him, I will probably changing things out soon.
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:30 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

I'll check into ORME as well. They are local to me so that's great, thanks.

I'd do all the high pressure; 2 oil lines, 2 trans cooler lines, 1 high pressure steering line.

I think it is just a drain the oil, wrench off the hoses, refit the hoses (maybe with a prime of oil), change filter (primed), refill oil and done. I think I'm going back to DINO oil.

Speaking of that, is it just fine to switch back from syth oil to dino?

Fleeting thought: What about a preventative fix, such as a "sleeve" type thing to go round the hoses? Something that would act as the steel to stop spray if the rubber breaks...hmm. (Rather than change them all)
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:58 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Wick,
To sleeve the lines you would have to take off a fitting anyway. Do it right, not half assed. I bet it costs the same anyway.
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

$60 is highway robbery!! I checked into this 2 months or so ago here in DC and it was going to cost $25 a line while I waited. Granted, I haven't found any time to actually do it yet, but still, I'd check around.

Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:54 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

So...do you bring it in and have them use the same fittings??? If so then a group buy is out.

If not then I'm in for oil, ps and tranny lines.

So...who's near a good and cheap place???
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:04 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Anthony,
Are you sure that price was for braided stainless steel lines. For that price I would guess it was for rubber hoses. I could be wrong???
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Art,

It's really simple. Take off your old hoses, take them in and ask them to make new hoses using your esixting fitting ends. On some of them they'll braze them to new tubing, on others they'll cut off the crimps and use new crimped ends.

If the truck is going to be down anyway, do them all. The only hoses that are a pain are the auto-tranny hoses. Most people use a cut-off wheel to remove them on the transmission end, get new hoses made up and then use hose clamps (they're low pressure anyway), on the transmission end.

Find an Aeroquip dealer. You'll know you're getting good hose, and they will be very familiar with rebuilding odd-ball hoses.

Good luck!
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:53 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I can't afford any down time at the moment so I was hoping they use new fittings.

I gotta get the RR up first and get on this soon.

Damn...sure wish I still had my Honda!
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:44 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Anthony where did you get that price from? Thinking about replacing mine before they go.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old May 4th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

If you can't deal with the down time, then that's the biggest problem. I once had to drive my truck to the driveline shop, remove the driveline in the parking lot, get it rebuilt, and re-install it when I had no other options.

I've done that with radiators too. Really sucks.

This is where the 'plug'n'play' lines would be nice. Of course, you could always order replacements from the dealer.

Old May 4th, 2004, 11:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have a set of two old oil cooler hoses off my 95 and they will soon be worthless to me with my diesel conversion. If someone wants them I will give them up for little more than the cost of shipping.

Old May 4th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Jim,
I recently made mine out of stainless tube/hose, but would like your old ones. I sent you an e-mail. Thanks!

Mine is a 95, and the tube shop I found replicated the end at the cooler, but I had to reuse the banjo end, it is very unique and I could not find and AN style to banjo replacement. I have pics if anyone is interested.
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Tyler, I can't find the name of the place off-hand, but they're in Alexandria. That said, any of the local speed shops can do the crimp-on.

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:02 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Thanks.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:41 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

jeff could you post a pic?does any one know why the used the "banjo" style end on those?could you just put a straight normal end on there?
Old December 20th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Reviewed these posts re search.

Was advised I might address this same issue just as insurance as my lines seem dated.

Best quality replacement source currently for 97?

job advisories?

Old December 21st, 2004, 11:30 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Matt,
Sorry for the really long delay.
I can definetely (barring technical challenges!) post pics. I'll try to do so tomorrow. I have some on this computer, but have no clue as tpo where they are. I am not a hard code fluids guy, but my gut says we could replace the banjo with a straight through connector (AN style) and eliminate them altogether, and flow better. If you think about the flow, it has some gnarly turns to negotiate. Staight connector would work better. The threads are odd though. I spec'ed them and have that data around here somewhere.
JBR

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions