Oil cooler line thread size please - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 23rd, 2015, 06:41 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Oil cooler line thread size please

Hi all. Anyone know exactly what size the 4 ends are?

I'm having a friend of a friend do some custom hydraulic oil cooler lines for my 94 NAS D99 ST. I brought the old ones as well as the nuts for the guy to match the thread/bolts.

Tried installing the new ones today and they won't fit. They didn't use the right size.

Anyone know exactly what size the 4 ends are?

Yes, I know someone on here does kick-but customs ones, but I can't afford them. This guy and I traded/bartered for services.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2015, 07:30 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If you are referring to the ones with the o-ring they are the same as air conditioning fittings.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 23rd, 2015, 07:39 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
If I were to do things again I would go without, as they are overkill for how I use my vehicle. I'm not in the Sahara and I don't tow anything more than a garden trailer. But the other thing you can do is buy genuine and sleeve them with something that will allow you to check the hose's integrity in the future. The thing I don't like my braided lines is I have no idea what condition the hose is in so it is all a guessing game from here on out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2015, 07:41 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

I do need them.

Anyone know the exact size of the male fitting that secured onto the banjo?
Old November 23rd, 2015, 08:58 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
If you are referring to the ones with the o-ring they are the same as air conditioning fittings.

Thanks! Question #2: Does anyone know what size the air conditioner fittings are? Lol!!
Old November 23rd, 2015, 09:58 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
took me about 5 seconds on Google to find this. The answer may be in there.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ment-9312.html
Old November 23rd, 2015, 10:12 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
If I were to do things again I would go without, as they are overkill for how I use my vehicle. I'm not in the Sahara and I don't tow anything more than a garden trailer. But the other thing you can do is buy genuine and sleeve them with something that will allow you to check the hose's integrity in the future. The thing I don't like my braided lines is I have no idea what condition the hose is in so it is all a guessing game from here on out.
It's funny. I don't think most people realize there are rubber hoses inside the metal lines. Heat would still destroy them. The good thing about the metal sleeve is if the hoses inside breakdown odds are you won't get a pin hole leak shooting at the manifold. I went with trailhead and then sleeved them in full length heat shield lines. It's overkill but it's one less thing to worry about.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:41 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
It's funny. I don't think most people realize there are rubber hoses inside the metal lines. Heat would still destroy them. The good thing about the metal sleeve is if the hoses inside breakdown odds are you won't get a pin hole leak shooting at the manifold. I went with trailhead and then sleeved them in full length heat shield lines. It's overkill but it's one less thing to worry about.
I've heard the D2's didn't come with oil cooler lines. If true I think that says something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:01 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
I've heard the D2's didn't come with oil cooler lines. If true I think that says something.
Another area to watch is the oil line baseplate loosening up. Helped two others with shorting out their new to them Ds. Both were leaking from that baseplate. Tightening the oil filter to the baseplate is not enough to seal the baseplate to the oil pump casting. That needs another snug.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:32 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
took me about 5 seconds on Google to find this. The answer may be in there.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ment-9312.html

Thank you for your hard work.

I found that same link earlier. The sizes listed in there don't apply to my vehicle for some crazy reason. Anyways, I Took my original oil cooler lines back to the hydraulic guy. He admitted putting the wrong fittings on after we tested them again. All corrected.

Thanks again everyone. BTW, $100 was the grand total. Far less than what I've seen in the marketplace. Granted I'm sure the other ones are awesome.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:39 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroPro View Post
Thank you for your hard work.

I found that same link earlier. The sizes listed in there don't apply to my vehicle for some crazy reason. Anyways, I Took my original oil cooler lines back to the hydraulic guy. He admitted putting the wrong fittings on after we tested them again. All corrected.

Thanks again everyone. BTW, $100 was the grand total. Far less than what I've seen in the marketplace. Granted I'm sure the other ones are awesome.
Yeah, that makes sense, the other ones are products sold through businesses. They've taken business risks, thought through a simple fix and a viable product to offer the community and have to make a profit in order to stay in business. Good thing too otherwise you'd been out of luck and had nothing to copy off of.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 03:56 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Didn't copy anything. As stated, the hydro guy simply matched the original fittings.

Thanks again for the jabs. I can take them. I'll stay positive.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 04:18 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroPro View Post
Didn't copy anything. As stated, the hydro guy simply matched the original fittings.

Thanks again for the jabs. I can take them. I'll stay positive.

Dude, if you think those are jabs, trying going with a buddy to a Norah Jones concert.....

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old November 23rd, 2015, 05:53 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Lol!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions