Oil Cooler Line Replacement - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Just FYI, the adapters for the later style radiator ('95 NAS D90 and replacements) will be ready next week, so all but the 97 guys (sorry dudes) will be able to go SS lines if they so desire.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:08 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Mike,

How do we order these?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:33 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
OK, took a look at replacinjg the lines today. Dismayed by the positioning of the oil line to pump housing nuts, a wrench won't fit. What did you guys use? a 36" ratchet extension ? Also What size nut are those?
Thanks for any help.
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:12 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
On my 94 w/o ac and with a replacement radiator (fixed fittings) all I needed was a 10" adjustable wrench (for hose to radiator and hose to sandwich plate nuts (1-1/16")) and a giant pair of channel locks (for oil filter and sandwich plate nut) I was able to pull up on the lower rad hose to get the wrench in there for the tricky one...

Steve (ran all day today including stop and go traffic on the highway with no oil cooler and my temp was fine in 70 degree sunny weather)
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Ok, I will take another look, it's pretty tight for the tricky hose to sandwich plate nut. Thanks for the info..
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I did my lines yesterday. We found what looked like a tiny hole and the line had oil on it. I was lucky to have caught it in time, and this was on a 97. I bought new lines from LR, and wrapped them in the heat sleeve that was recommended. I am glad to have it all behind me.

97 D90 SW
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
OK, got the sandwich plate off after tying the lower rad hose out of the way. The big PITA were the rad fittings, which I
PB'd overnight, PB'd again, and resorted to a 36" breaker bar with the big ass 1 1/16 socket. I was afraid the fittings were in so tight that I might damage the rad itself, but all went well. 2 extra hours of bitchin' to get those fittings off.
I feel love now..
Old October 4th, 2006, 04:17 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
T'was a dirtyjob, right up my alley. PITA to remove and fit rad fittings. Got the kit in finally, can't say much about bling, but the psychological effect is worth it. No more restless nights with nightmares of bonfires...
Old October 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Yeah it si nice to know that the rig is safe from that particular death!!!

now I just need that skid plate, my gastank is about ready to drop, theres nothing holding the tank in placed except the two bolts along the rear of the plate, the front of the tank is two inches down below the plate mounts! yikes!

whats next? hahah

!Steve
Old October 4th, 2006, 05:15 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Muddy Oval Shawn:
I just got new lines from LR, too and am replacing them on my '97 this weekend. The process seems straightforward enough. Did you run in to any glitches?
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:55 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
No real glitches. Tied the rad hose out of the way, to make room for adjst wrench, for sandwhich plate nuts. A little akward.. 1, 1/18 socket did the trick on the rad fits. Oil and coolant drips in face. Guess the rad fittings were a hassle to wrench in, they don't need to go real tight.

Steve, yeah the skid plate was good therapy too..
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:44 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I didn't really run into any problems, but here are some tips. You will need some pretty large metric wrenches to do the job, somewhere in the range of 20-24 mm, I don't recall exactly which.

Remove the two screws that hold the fan guard on top of the radiator, and then unclip the two clips and remove the fan guard. It makes getting to things easier.

Make sure that you get 4 new O-rings, and when you remove the lines, make sure that the old O-rings come out with the lines. Two of mine got stuck in there and I had to get them out.

I removed the bottom first and let them drain a bit, then took off the bottom clamp that holds the two lines together. Leave the top clamp on, it is easier to remove after you get the lines loose from the radiator.

Pull the line out and take apart the 2nd clamp. Be sure to remember which line goes where.

Install the new lines, then put the clamp on the bottom, then the top. I had to bend the top line coming out of the radiator so that it had clearance around some metal and hoses in there. Just make sure that it isn't rubbing against anything anywhere.

I would really suggest getting the heat sleeve from Summit that Davis recommended. (Link Below)

Order 2 of them. One sleeve will fit perfect; you will have to trim the other about 6 inches. It is good quality stuff that is heat proof and oil proof, this way if they burst for some reason the oil will run out the bottom and not catch your 90 on fire. It is fairly inexpensive insurance.

Follow-up Post:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

97 D90 SW
Old October 5th, 2006, 10:05 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Thanks for the tips, Shawn.
(I got the heat sleeve from Summit, too)
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:40 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

I have about 8 kits left for the "old style" radiator with removable fittings. They're complete with lines and fittings which will connect to the Mocal SP1T sandwich plate. They could also work with the existing oil filter adapter, but you'll have to get your own fitting.

I'll be happy to bring them to MAR. $77 for the whole kit. Who wants them? I think I'll be camping on the hill above the pond, and will be there Fri and Sat only.
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Bumping this one. Only 4 sets left to go. These are lines/fittings complete. Super easy to install. If you can change your oil, you've got all the skills necessary to swap out your lines. Don't let Santa be able to spot your house from the air by seeing the smoking D-90 in the driveway.

At $77 bucks, I think you'll recognize this is a super deal. Buy the Mocal sandwich plate for $80 and it's still cheaper than buying stock lines or some of the commercial replacements. Buy a couple of fittings from the auto parts store for $10 and these lines will work with your stock oil filter adapter.

Having heard from the guys who installed these, I've gotten nothing but good comments and I'm sure you'll be happy too. At this price, you benefit from a "group buy".

Great Thanksgiving Day presents!!

Email me or PM me for info.
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

bump for Ken -- they're really, really nice lines and a hell of a good deal.
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:15 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Hate to drag this old thread out of the mud but seems there is a misunderstanding.

The ECR style oil cooler lines fit 1993-early 1995 Defenders that have the removable style fitting in the radiator and the 18mm oil cooler adaptor.
They do not fit the later style radiators OR Defenders with the 20mm oil cooler adaptor.
You have to check BOTH, not just one.

I posted it as clearly as I possibly could on our site at:
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/110oillines.html

Any questions email me. Anyone that ordered a kit without checking both items first is welcome to return it for a refund.

Thanks and hope that makes it clear.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
For the DIY guys. The ECR kit is made of:

Russel fittings:
2x 670560 adapters
2x 610030 straight 8AN
1x 612100 90 8AN swivel
1x 610100 45 8AN

Earls fittings:
1x 981608 #8 to NPT adpater

30" of #8 SS flex hose

Total cost, about $100 bucks, less if you use the JEGS fittings instead of the name brand Russel or Earls.

Yes, the ECR kit will cost more than $100 due to development time and such, but if you have a problem with business and profit, here is your parts list to do it yourself and lets see no more burnt Defenders please.

NOTE!!!!!
This set up is for a stock 1993 NAS 110, 1994 NAS D90 or early NAS 1995 D90 with the removalble fitting type radiator and the 18mm oil cooler adaptor. If you have a fixed fitting radiator or a 20mm oil cooler adaptor you are SOL with this list. Check before you order your parts.
In searching for these parts it seems as though the Russell 670560 adapter is unobtainium but it looks like Earl's equivilant part # is 361-9919EFK
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Joe Cole
Joe Cole
97 D-90

OK..I want to put a plug in for Trailhead 4x4, Eric has developed an oil line appication for the 1995 and 1997 Defenders mentioned in this thread.

He has a Great product highest quality components and you can order them directly from him. Additionally he is a Great guy and real Land Rover enthusist. If you are near enough he can install them or do any other work on your truck.

www.trailhead4x4

440-212-1636

1997 D-90
1997 XD
1999 DII
1999 DI
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I have had the Trailhead 4x4 oil line kit on my '95 for a couple months and have been very happy with it. It is a clean design and seems to keep the lines very far away from the exhaust manifold. Like Joe said, Eric is a good guy and got the lines out quickly.

The only bit of info I need to add is you have to be careful with the 1995 radiators like Mike said in an earlier post. Eric helped me over the phone to determine if my '95 could use the kit's adaptors which it could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
OK..I want to put a plug in for Trailhead 4x4, Eric has developed an oil line appication for the 1995 and 1997 Defenders mentioned in this thread.

He has a Great product highest quality components and you can order them directly from him. Additionally he is a Great guy and real Land Rover enthusist. If you are near enough he can install them or do any other work on your truck.

www.trailhead4x4

440-212-1636

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac