Oil Cooler Line Replacement - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 20th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

Andy -

I got mine from Sane George at RDS. They are just the regular rover part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2006, 05:45 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
They are just new parts that I got at the dealer. I had a bit of trouble trying to find a place that could put new hoses on. Everytime I would call a place they would say they couldn't do it, so I gave up. Now that I will have my old set out of the truck, I can take them to some places and hopefully make myself an upgraded set for next time they need to be replaced. They were around $250.00 for the set, but that's better than having a melted truck.

97 D90 SW
Old September 28th, 2006, 07:51 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
BUMP!!!

Just today I was driving and noticed a smell of burning oil... COuldnt be me naaah. Yeah, a minute later white smoke is coming out of my hood and into the passenger compartment. I pull into a lot,turn it off and open the hood.. Luckily no flames I guess, just an oil soaked engine compartment. There was about a 2mm hole in one of the lines spraying oil all over. I got a ride to the depot, got some hose clamps and short piece of hot water hose and patched it up for the 15 min ride home. I WAS LUCKY!!

Ive got a new(er) radiator with the permanent male threads.. Any ready made solution to this besides the factory replacements?

EVERYONE CHANGE THEIR LINES!!!

~Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2006, 08:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
If you can't find a local hydraulic shop to rebuild them, just get originals. As you and I both learned, we are literally playing with fire if you haven't replaced them.

If you do go original, offer up your old lines for someone else to be able to get them rebuilt and then do the swap and pass on their old ones so someone else can do the same.

charles
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:38 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
Thumbs up

Just finished installing my custom Oil lines ( installed by rover tech ) . The tech took about 1 1/2 hrs to install due to trying different clearance angles around the exhaust manifol. The tech complained that the next time I make the lines to cut as close to the the rubber hose and crimp part so as to keep the same angle and bends as stock .They look great and no modifications needed. I'll be making a new set with the old lines for my wife's 90. I'll post pics soon.
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin

If you do go original, offer up your old lines for someone else to be able to get them rebuilt and then do the swap and pass on their old ones so someone else can do the same.

charles
I have the used ones with the adaptor sitting in the shop that I'd be happy to pass on to anyone that needs them -- will bring to the middy if anyone wants them.
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:07 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor
Ive got a new(er) radiator with the permanent male threads.. Any ready made solution to this besides the factory replacements?

~Steve
For anyone with this "permanent male thread", can you post the thread size? It'd be good info for others to have.

I have several sets of the oil lines and (nearly all) the fittings. Had to go back to the supplier because we got the radiator fittings wrong. Should have it all cleared up by MAR and can bring them with me.
2 sets of lines and fittings for $77. You buy your own Mocal sandwich plate (or fittings to existing oil filter adapter).
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ken, I don't know what it is, but I think it's exactly the same as on the ones that can be removed. The only difference is you can't remove it

charles
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:56 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Ken, I don't know what it is, but I think it's exactly the same as on the ones that can be removed. The only difference is you can't remove it

charles
Duh! Ok, now that I've been reminded of the obvious, then it's an easy solution. I can get fittings for those... EZ

Now then, who of you with fixed threads on the radiator want some stainless lines??
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:44 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ken, just in case, it's not the thread size/pitch that the problem, but the type of fitting thats the issue. Are you sure you can get a fitting that works for that (i.e. goes inside the radiator fitting and the seal is made with pressure against the outer edge of the fitting?

Also, why replace the sandwich plate instead of just sourcing the right fitings for that side too? Fittings would be much cheaper.

charles
Old September 29th, 2006, 09:35 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Charles, The stock fitting is an o-ring type fitting. You don't have to replace it with this - a regular threaded type will work as we're not talking high pressure here.

I'll say it again: use your fittings and replace the hose. Reroute them if you wish or wrap them near the manifold. Less than $50 per line - what's wrong with that?

I wonder if you can fit a metal shield around them in the hot area: wrap in some insulation and then wrap a metal shield around that.

Or, if there's room, install a metal shield on the manifold in that area. Just leave a space between it and the manifold for air flow and that in itself will reduce temps.
Old September 29th, 2006, 09:40 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Charles, The stock fitting is an o-ring type fitting. You don't have to replace it with this - a regular threaded type will work as we're not talking high pressure here.
OK, good to know, but this appears to have been a challenge to everyone from day one - otherwise why have they been removing this from the radiator (when they can)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
I'll say it again: use your fittings and replace the hose. Reroute them if you wish or wrap them near the manifold. Less than $50 per line - what's wrong with that?
Nothing, in fact thats what I did (scroll back a page to see pictures). It cost me $115 for the pair here in NOVA.

But if the right fittings can be sourced, you can replace the entire lines for less, and I see no harm in that too.

charles
Old September 29th, 2006, 09:48 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loykd
Duh! Ok, now that I've been reminded of the obvious, then it's an easy solution. I can get fittings for those... EZ

Now then, who of you with fixed threads on the radiator want some stainless lines??
Good luck getting that fitting "EZ". We have never been able to source it from anyone, Russell, Aero-Quip, etc etc. It is an outside thread fitting (pipe with a bell fitting on it). Nobody makes anything like it in the aftermarket.

If you have a fitting for that that is EZ, I'd sure love to see it.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
stupid land rovers
Old September 29th, 2006, 11:02 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
If anyone can source the fittings, Id definitely spring for a set of the couplings or hoses.. Luckily I have a vehicle for the weekend and dont need my rover immediately.. But by next week ill be removing them, cleaning and getting them redone I guess.

Im in Northern New Jersey - Anyone around here get theres re-hosed locally? Id love a tip on a place..

good luck all
~Steve
Old September 29th, 2006, 11:06 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Good luck getting that fitting "EZ". We have never been able to source it from anyone, Russell, Aero-Quip, etc etc. It is an outside thread fitting (pipe with a bell fitting on it). Nobody makes anything like it in the aftermarket.

If you have a fitting for that that is EZ, I'd sure love to see it.
Mike, I see what you're saying. Talked to the supplier and he says that they DON'T have a fitting with a 1/2" compression nut on one end and a -10 AN thread on the other. He's got another idea on how to fabricate one though. I'll get a price for that and post more info later.
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:48 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Has anyone decided to eliminate the in-radiator cooler, and add an actual oil cooler core out in front of the radiator? Maybe a 12x4x2 or a 12x6x2 along with a thermosatic sandwich plate adapter??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:52 PM
fleabus
Dan
None :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Steel line, rubber line, titanium line... why run it 2" from an exhaust manifold if the goal of an "oil cooler" is to reduce oil temps.
Couple weeks I should have a 97 "away from the manifold line solution", don't think it will be as easy or pretty as the 93-94 unit though.
Any update on oil cooler lines for us 97 guys?
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:51 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Currently working on the adapter for the 95 style radiator fitting, that should be done in a week or so, but after looking into the 97 system I do not see any easy, or semi-easy set up that does not include the fittings from the original lines. So now there are no plans for the 97s. Can't see a way to make it happen that is any better than getting the factory lines remade or covering them with thermo-sleeve.
Sorry.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Took my lines OUT, took the sandwich plate OUT, drove at normal operating temp today so far on a cool morning.. Ill let yall know if anything starts acting fishy. A nice feeling to have eliminated a potential source of problems.. As long as my cooling system takes to it. Time will tell.

Anyone know the thread size of the fixed male fittings in my radiator so I can get some proper caps?
thanks
~Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac