Oil Cooler Line Delete Thoughts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 28th, 2013, 02:34 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
What are folks official thoughts on just straight up deleting the oil cooler lines? I know a few guys have done it. Has anyone done it and regretted it?

I'm changing the oil in my 90 tomorrow for the first time and need to address the lines in the process.

Thanks!

---

Edit: By regret it, I mean, has anyone suffered adverse effects of removing them? Overheating, etc? I know they can be re-added after removing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2013, 07:24 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
What are folks official thoughts on just straight up deleting the oil cooler lines? I know a few guys have done it. Has anyone done it and regretted it?

I'm changing the oil in my 90 tomorrow for the first time and need to address the lines in the process.

Thanks!

---

Edit: By regret it, I mean, has anyone suffered adverse effects of removing them? Overheating, etc? I know they can be re-added after removing.
I don't know anyone that deleted them however it doesn't seem like something you'd want to to try and find it wasn't a good idea. The consequences of getting this wrong would be a dead engine.

Lots of people have overheating problems with these engines, removing oil cooling would contribute to that.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post

Thanks!

---

I know a Rover V8 isn't a high strung flat six, but one of THE most important things in a P-car is keeping a plentiful supply of cool oil.
Maybe if you lived in Alberta or Alaska you could get away with it, but imagine the one time you got stuck in traffic, or decided to tow something........
I could understand deleting them if they were unobtanium, but they're readily available and not prohibitively expensive.
I realize I'm not answering your original question because I don't have any experience with deleting a cooler, but thought I'd cast my vote for keeping it. I'd hate to see you regret it if the circumstances aligned and you toasted your lump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

There is a reason they exist. Do not disturb the Force!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:06 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Deleting them pits you against the engineers in Solihull. We all know how incompetent they've been at times, but better safe than sorry here. An upgrade to stainless lines is a relatively cheap mod for peace of mind.
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:34 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Kill them. No worries.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I see both sides but I tend to hug caution when considering stuff like this, for example my 90 has had the sway bars removed...I'm ok with that because tight cornering in the 90 isn't an option anyway. In the matter of cooling...the cooler the better. I upgraded mine, they work and I dont have to have any future consideration for them.
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The same engine in other models did not have the cooler lines. Personally I'm not worried much about my oil temp in a v8 like I would be on a tdi where is running through a 1200 degree turbo. If you change your oil every 5k or less imo there is only upside to deleting the lines.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:59 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I removed mine, but also added a huge 5 core radiator. If you increase the efficiency of cooling through the radiator then you can removed them without any effect.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:08 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
Deleting them pits you against the engineers in Solihull. We all know how incompetent they've been at times, but better safe than sorry here. An upgrade to stainless lines is a relatively cheap mod for peace of mind.
(Overheard at Solihull....) Hey 'oo's the bloody bloke what ordered 'ese 'ere tree 'undred thousand oil cooler adapters?

Wernt me, laddy.

Well, what the 'ell r we s'pose t'do wit these 'ere things?

Well, sez me I say we put 'em on ev'ry bloody V8 and jack up the price 'nother 500 quid, eh wot?

Bloody good show old chap! Up fer a pint are we?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:09 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
i considered killing them too but it seems these engines don't manage heat very well to begin with so $200 of insurance is worth keeping them for me.

i think external oil cooler were factory options on early 110's and RR's. i have a dealer spec sheet for an 83 110 i bought that shows external oil cooler and power steering as factory option the original owner opted for. somewhere along the way LR may have decided it was goo insurance too. probably overkill in most applications still.

Clay
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:09 AM
RobTheGob
Rob
1963 IIa 88 & 1995 NAS D-90 SW

Registry
I'm sure the oil cooler is serious overkill from an engineering standpoint. If you have a 130 running a small PTO sawmill in the Amazon - I'd worry about removing it. But I think a light duty 90 running in a mild climate will be fine - for an indefinite amount of time.

I also found that the oil pressure light goes out almost instantly without the lines - with the lines in place, I could count to 3 or 4... I suspect that negates any issues with slightly cooler oil. I'd like to install an oil pressure gauge to see what the pressure is actual doing...

Having said that - mine have only been off for two weeks (winter weeks - never higher than 8 degress C) and I'll likely reinstall them in the spring. Since my brother-in-law works in hydraulic fabrication - I can get very heavy duty lines made for cost.
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:22 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I personally think the oil cooler should be left in.

People spend hundreds of dollars putting aftermarket oil coolers on their trucks trying to make them "expedition ready". Defenders came with them stock. For extended driving, idling, and pulling heavy loads in high temperature climates, oil coolers can drastically extend oil life. It's a bit like why Z06s use dry sumps. Makes absolutely no sense for 99.999% of the driving that people do, but under specific circumstances, they may make a critical difference.

If you have oil pressure problems with the oil cooler lines installed, you may have some serious engine issues, or you're running some 5W40 or some other way-too-thin oil.
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:31 AM
RobTheGob
Rob
1963 IIa 88 & 1995 NAS D-90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
If you have oil pressure problems with the oil cooler lines installed, you may have some serious engine issues, or you're running some 5W40 or some other way-too-thin oil.
It's only at start up and I'm not sure what viscosity it is... The previous owner put it in - recently by the colour of it...

It never gets much below freezing here - so I'm sure I can run something on the upper end of the scale.
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:34 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
(Overheard at Solihull....) Hey 'oo's the bloody bloke what ordered 'ese 'ere tree 'undred thousand oil cooler adapters?

Wernt me, laddy.

Well, sez me I say we put 'em on ev'ry bloody V8 and jack up the price 'nother 500 quid, eh wot?

Nice.
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post

Wernt me, laddy.

God...I can just see that right now! lol...
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Streaky
Alden
1994/D90 NAS

Deleted mine 2 years ago. No issues.
I have a stock radiator and my thermostat stays right in the middle. I drive it year round, 'tho the summers here aren't nearly as hot as other places.
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:54 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You can go around and around all day long on different opinions here just by searching "oil cooler remove" and weigh the good with the bad and the indifferent. Personally, I bought Trailhead 4x4 stainless steel oil cooler lines and had them re-routed away from the manifolds.
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:24 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

I'll leave it attached.

But have you ever looked inside the radiator tank?

I swear it's really a "coolant heater" instead of an "oil cooler".
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho
You can go around and around all day long on different opinions here just by searching "oil cooler remove" and weigh the good with the bad and the indifferent. Personally, I bought Trailhead 4x4 stainless steel oil cooler lines and had them re-routed away from the manifolds.
I went the trailhead route too. Just get a set. Rovers might be designed like shit but anytime I have tried to make them better they became worse. Case in point getting a recored radiator. It didn't cool properly. As soon as I got a new stock one everything was great.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht