Oil Cooler Line! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 14th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Oil Cooler Line!

Almost lost the 90 today. I was/am still on original lines and check them every so often. Even checked them this morning. Drove about 10 miles and....SMOKE...black smoke!!! Shut it off and whipped it off the road. I GOT LUCKY! Just oil everywhere.

Even if they look ok, CHANGE THEM!

Can anybody post the links to change the lines?

Or the HANS post, I need to order tomorrow to get back on the road.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I have a kit sitting around from Rover Accessories.

Cost me $290. I will sell for $275 shipped. as new, never mounted.

Follow-up Post:

PS. I'll be in Denver tomorrow...

Follow-up Post:

Direct fit for 1994 D90. Much better than the stock lines. These are routed away from the stock exhaust.

Money would go to my toyota swap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010075.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	13849  
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:11 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Smile

I'll take a muffin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2008, 11:38 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

I recently did mine and bought the kit from Eric at Trailhead 4x4.

http://www.trailhead4x4.com/

I called him last week to confirm he had finished making a set up for '97 D90s and '95 RRCs...and they're ready...so I ordered a set of those on Friday. It was $300 for that set...a little less for the '93-'95 set.
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:29 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
and if you cant get anything in your tight time schedule, you can run without the oilcooler with no worries.. Just take off the "sandwich plate" that sits inbetween your filter and oil pump with a big wrench and screw the filter in its place..

glad you caught it in time!! Same thing happened to me over a year ago, bene running with no cooler since, no probs..

~Steve
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:08 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
I made my own set. About $100, and an hour and a half of my time... would have been way less, but the previous owner of my D90 apparently tightened the oil filler plug with a 10ft cheater bar.

Edit.. I just realized these Rover Specialty places are making a damn killing off these things with what people are paying.
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Sure they're making money off them (why shouldn't they?) but they took the time to figure it all out and set them up for us. I would guess that many more D90/110 owners are not mechanically inclined than those of us that are.

For me I didn't have the time to figure out what was necessary and to source the parts. It was much easier to pick up the phone and order it.

I'd rather the kits be available and expensive than not be and see more Car-B-Ques.
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Keep a fire extinguisher in the car!
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Josh

remove the sandwich plate and go with it that way if you need the 90. I took mine off and then took the lines to a hydrolic shop (hydro something off of 13th ave in denver you can see them off of i-25) and they put stainless steel braided lines on for under $100. It took about two week because I was a low priority but I was not in a hurry. call me if you need more info.

brian
720-219-2288
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Brian,

What did it cost you? 13th and I-25?
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Josh, you might try Emrick & Hill. They're at 42nd & Fox (off 38th & I-25). At the time (2-3 years ago) it cost me about $240, but they did power steering lines as well as oil cooler lines. It took them about an hour if I recall correctly. They welded on new, standardized, fittings so next time I want them done it should be quicker and cheaper.

Congratulations on being quick thinking enough to save your 90.
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:11 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle
Edit.. I just realized these Rover Specialty places are making a damn killing off these things with what people are paying.
yeah, must be one of those evil "profit schemes". Personally I like to work for nothing in a half assed shack with no insurance, sacrifycing any sort of personal quality of life so someone can have Rover junk for cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:41 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

It was under a $100. I will get there info for you. But unlike Rod they crimped on the lines.
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:59 AM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
yeah, must be one of those evil "profit schemes". Personally I like to work for nothing in a half assed shack with no insurance, sacrifycing any sort of personal quality of life so someone can have Rover junk for cheap.
I was just shocked to see what people were paying knowing what I had payed for hardware after I worked out my kit using all Aeroquip reusable hardware and braided line.

If I thought it were a "profit scheme" I'd post up my part #"s for the 94's and 95's and a how to, but I'm not that kind of person and I certainly don't want to hurt the already limited Land Rover aftermarket and independent shops, hence why my knowlege stays with me and I don't publish any of it.
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:29 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I wouldn't worry about hurting the shops etc. Post it on up, it's all good and benefits everyone in the long run.

My comment reffers to the fact that running a legitimate retail business (which I do not...legit yes, retail no) is what it is and money has to be made to put all the bits together and the companies that stick around for a while that many people are so dependant on are the ones that actually make money doing it.

Personally I've probably made more money fixing the buggered up threads, chaffed through poorly installed lines, broken timing covers, leaks that are more dangerous than the original lines... and myriad of other issues with Defenders (not to mention the rest) that have been owner repaired with information gathered over the internet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Check your radiator to see if you can even use the kits that the shops are selling. I couldn't because my radiator bungs are welded on. But it's not hard to replace the lines. I did it myself with some braided stainless rubber hose and hose clamps. $52. Parts list here:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...&postcount=129
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Trailhead 4x4
Eric Brown
1990 RRC
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimngo
Check your radiator to see if you can even use the kits that the shops are selling. I couldn't because my radiator bungs are welded on. But it's not hard to replace the lines. I did it myself with some braided stainless rubber hose and hose clamps. $52. Parts list here:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...&postcount=129
I have everything available to fit any configuration of Defender with threaded or welded oil cooler bungs, '97's included.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
cdkarp
Chris
1999 Discovery I

I have a set of oil lines from trailhead on my Disco. Installed in about an hour, very nice setup Eric has created.
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Follow up.

Finally installed my new lines. It was pretty straight forward. Although I did need to use the impact to get the fittings off of the radiator.

After looking at the ECR pictures of rovers lost by fires I can't belive how lucky I was. I had the exact same oil path to my rover just mine did not catch fire. LUCKY!

If you have't changed them, DO IT NOW!

I did inspect mine regularly, even when I pulled the old ones off they looked fine. They were not!

Again chnage your lines ASAP if you have not!

Thanks for the all help as usual!
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:22 PM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

whose kit did you install--or did you make your own?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions