Oil Cooler Delete Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Oil Cooler Delete Question

So, I am planning on replacing the Oil Cooler lines with Stainless, but lately have been considering just deleting the oil cooler as some of you have done. Obviously I would have to cap off the filter adapter where the lines attach. My question is, if you don't want to put plugs in can you just remove the adapter and put the filter housing back without it, or do you need a different oil filter housing to do this? If so, is this what I would need below? Sorry, I don't have my truck in front of me or I could probably answer at least part of this Q myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2266685&rd=1,1

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

No need to be complicate on this one, the easy way is the best way. Just pull the adapter off, put the filter back on, and the engine side is done. www.siegecraft.us/mocal.htm for some photos of what things look like on a '94. I would then put some plugs on the radiator side fittings after removing the hoses, just to keep the now unused cooler from getting contaminated over time.

Definitely do NOT take off the lines and plug them on the engine adapter, with the adapter on it is the only flowpath for the oil, and it will destroy the engine bearings in just a minute or two of running.

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Oh, and that part you linked to, I have no idea what that thing is. Looks nothing like the oil pump base on my truck, not even close. Definitely not a part off of a 3.9 oil pump assembly. Maybe comes off of a 4.0? The oil system on the 4.0 is totally different than on a 3.9.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Gotcha, thanks! I'm heading back to Chicago (where my 110 is) in a week or so, and didn't want to miss that at that price if it was something I would need. I was wondering about the flow path of that adapter, thanks for clearing that up as well. I am leaning more and more toward just deleting it as Chicago is pretty cold anyway 350 days out of the year!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions