Oil Change - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

There is a way of doing it without spilling! Charles and I changed the oil on my 90 when I hit the little mud puddle too hard, we drained the oil into the top of a milk jug using only a foil pan as a funnel! If you hold the plug in the hole you can use it to control the flow of oil and the direction. It takes some practice, the first time it will run down your arm some but once you get it figured out it becomes rather easy.

Grasshopper, it will be time for you to go once you can remove and install a full oil filter without spilling a drop. This is an art not too easy to master, and it can be done! It takes a quick hand and you need to have real good aim.

Edit, why buy a 1 1/8 wrench? I use a 16 inch adjustable! Much more usefull!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2005, 06:43 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHuny
Good luck, and remember - a little oil on your skin never hurt anyone a little oil on your skin never hurt anyone a little oil on your skin never hurt anyone
Thats what rubber gloves are for I think I got my box at home depot.
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Man, I found out last oil change that there's a BIG difference between having the fill cap on or off when you drain it. Came out a hell of a lot faster when I had the fill plug out.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2005, 12:56 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHuny
You're also supposed to put the new oil in first before you remove the old oil filter.
Really? How does this work, and why do you do it. I have never done this in 9 years of owning the D....wait is this pre oiling the new filter, or putting new oil in the truck before taking out the old filter.

-s
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:05 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

I don't know why, but it's in your manual. All the rover V8's say to do this. Ive never heard of anyone having any problems not doing it, though. I think it has something to do with the way the oil pump is primed ?
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:31 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yep drain old replace with new and then filter change
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

It's how because of the pump. Because of the type of pump it is, it is hard to prime, it needs to have oil in it to prime. Unlike the pumps on serp belt rovers that will prime dry.
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:15 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Smile

Ok, well good to know, i guess i should read the manual .
Two more stupid questions.

1.after you drain...fill...remover old filter...install new filter... then do you top off again, due to loss in filter and pump.

2. Since I have been doing this wrong for the last 9 years is my oil pump going to have a problem, or is a "just better if done this way" gig?
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

If you drain the oil and replace the filter and reinstall the new oil right away it will not be a problem...it takes a bit of time for the pump to lose prime. I wouldn't drain the oil and remove the filter and leave it overnight...but a few minutes will not be a problem. If you do lose prime you can pull out the pressure relief valve and fill the oil pump with Lubriplate or engine assembly lube and it will usually reprime. This is only a problem on the older engines with the oil pump driven off of the distributor...the newer design with the crankshaft driven pumps do not seem to have this problem.
Cheers, Rob
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Steve, it is also a good idea to fill the filter with oil before putting it on, the filter will hold 3/4 a quart of oil, if you don't fill it then the engine spends a small amount of time running without oil being pumped through as the filter gets filled.

The older style oil pump is a set of gears driven by the distributer, and due to their design they will not pump air due to the fact they need oil to create a seal, and the oil drains out of them if the system is left open too long (like when the filter is off). How long it takes for them to drain depends on the condition of the pump (how worn it is). The newer style pumps (driven off the crank) will pump air due to the design because they don't need oil to create suction. So if you were to remove 100% of the oil from the system then refill the sump and start the engine in a short time they will suck oil from the sump.

my $.02
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:14 AM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Follow up....I had to get it changed by a "professional" today due to a lack of time and an unplanned 400 mile round trip today. At any rate I go and the guy working who spoke such broken ebonics (45 miles outside of Atlanta mind you) I could barely understand him pulls the hood latch. Well of course he yanks it clean out of the firewall. Needless to say I was less than thrilled. Fixing it tomorrow. Think thats the last time anyone touches the D without permission and a release form.
Old July 13th, 2005, 10:24 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Last oil change I got tired of the oil everywhere problem so I tried something that worked very well.

I cut the bottom out of a used 1 pound coffee can, or the small ones whatever they are. Then loosen the drain plug until it's loose enough to turn with your fingers. Place the coffee can against the engine oil pan and reach inside the can to finish removing the drain plug. This makes it easy to control the direction and keeps the oil from splashing all over the place.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions