OIL change - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

20W50? I hope it never goes below freezing there, if it does I'd mix about half 5W30 and half 20W50 if you can't find 15W40. The thicker the oil the more difficulty it has forming a film and the film is what protects the engine parts, one of the biggest changes in engines over the last 100 years was going to thinner and thinner lubricants over time as people realized this. (There's an exception like there is to every rule and that is Castor Oil which actually forms a bond with the liner over time and builds what is basically a slick 'alloy like' surface that you cannot remove without boring out the cylinder).

If you really need ramps just make sure that the drain plug is at the low-end of the pan when you drain, then for re-filling you'll want to have things flat. Remember to pre-fill the filter with fresh oil before fitting it, the longer you can let it sit (within reason) topped up with oil (the filter) the less air you'll have to pump though the oil-galleries on initial startup as well which people claim is an issue on RV8s (I don't know of any empirical evidence of this but it doesn't hurt and the logic is fairly sound).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
As far as I know, the LR filter is made by Wix.
That would surprise me. I've read that they are made by Cooper in the UK which seems more likely to me.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:43 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
You don't need a wrench for the filter. If you can't undo it by hand, then hammer a screwdriver through the filter and use it to turn it.
I thought I was the only person who did things like this, haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Those were the instructions for the weak wrist-ed But if you are throwing it away, no harm.

On the white D90 I just got I managed to undo the filter by hand that was stuck so tight the sandwich adapter loosened before the filter did. But I got it off by hand
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:00 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
That would surprise me. I've read that they are made by Cooper in the UK which seems more likely to me.
I always heard the OEM filters were Wix as well. Just what I've heard, but never confirmed this.

Wix, just like many OEM filters, are made by the Dana Corporation.

The telltale signs for a Wix are: 6 large holes for the oil inlet with only the black anti-drainback valve to be seen through them. There are 6 "notches" that hold the gasket in place. Through the center outlet hole, you can see the bypass valve spring. Usually the backplate metal is shiny.

I don't have a Rover filter to compare to as I've been using Mann filters for years (Tillery has a good price per case). But it would be interesting to compare if some of you have photos you could post...
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:22 PM
jijalicious
Jiman Khosravan
'94 D90

Thumbs up Tank u veerie moch

Let me just say that thanks to you guys, and your willingness to share your experiences with your D with this forum... I was able to change the oil on my D90 for the first time, save 2 gallons of used oil from splashing on the exhaust, and get the confidence I needed to change the oil of a car.. also for the very first time

So Thanks. 30 minutes. DONE. Now gonna go clean this oil of my hands and the keyboard. DOH!

~Jiman
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijalicious View Post
Let me just say that thanks to you guys, and your willingness to share your experiences with your D with this forum... I was able to change the oil on my D90 for the first time, save 2 gallons of used oil from splashing on the exhaust, and get the confidence I needed to change the oil of a car.. also for the very first time

So Thanks. 30 minutes. DONE. Now gonna go clean this oil of my hands and the keyboard. DOH!

~Jiman

Jiman... Congrats and welcome aboard. But, don't be surprised if you end up with another 90 and a 110 in your driveway one day soon. The addiction sets in quickly.

Old August 25th, 2010, 08:56 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

Just an FYI. I am involved with a company that has come up with a new oil additive that is totally green. We have just received our testing results and they are even better than we could have imagined. We are not ready to sell large quantities yet, but I could get you guys some if anyone is interested. I have been using it in my 94 d90 and I have seen great results. The product goes directly in your oil, and reduces friction in all the parts of your engine. I immediately saw an increase in fuel mileage (around 10%), but the part that impressed me the most was the smoothness I felt in my engine running. Don't know that it will be available to individuals any time real soon (we are working on some things with the railroad first), but like I said I can get it for anyone to try. I can send it in a 16 oz. bottle. You put 8 oz. in each time you change your oil. The bottle is $16. I'm really not trying to be a salesman, but I have had great luck with it in my high mileage 90, and thought it could be useful to others. PM me if anyone is interested.
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasD-90 View Post
Just an FYI. I am involved with a company that has come up with a new oil additive that is totally green. We have just received our testing results and they are even better than we could have imagined. We are not ready to sell large quantities yet, but I could get you guys some if anyone is interested. I have been using it in my 94 d90 and I have seen great results. The product goes directly in your oil, and reduces friction in all the parts of your engine. I immediately saw an increase in fuel mileage (around 10%), but the part that impressed me the most was the smoothness I felt in my engine running. Don't know that it will be available to individuals any time real soon (we are working on some things with the railroad first), but like I said I can get it for anyone to try. I can send it in a 16 oz. bottle. You put 8 oz. in each time you change your oil. The bottle is $16. I'm really not trying to be a salesman, but I have had great luck with it in my high mileage 90, and thought it could be useful to others. PM me if anyone is interested.
I'm up for a try. Pm or Email me what you need.
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:25 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
If your oil is made in the USA, I might be interested in talking to you.
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:34 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

It's made right here in Texas.
Old August 28th, 2010, 12:35 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 are $21 at Walmart right now.....
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:03 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
It's made right here in Texas.
I might be interested in a bottle or 2, I'm a 300tdi though.
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:42 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Related question - changing the oil for the first time on my 90 and the oil plug is literally immovable.. have a socket wrench (yes, correct size and everything). Any ideas? P-blaster? Get a real wrench?

I'd like to blame this on a previous mechanic, who shall remain nameless, but it might just be my lack of experience.
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Is someone selling slick50 here? lol

Robert Deniro
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:55 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Lefty loosey (just in case ) and put a pipe on the end of the wrench to get more leverage. It'll go.
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:05 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Lefty loosey (just in case ) and put a pipe on the end of the wrench to get more leverage. It'll go.
Ha - yeah, I actually did verify that it was going left (had to check)

So, you were right, the socket couldn't get enough power behind it , so I bought a very big wrench and that pulled it off in about five seconds. Thanks for the good advice (again), Charles
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:18 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Good to hear. I keep a short piece of plumbing pipe in my tool bag for this sort of thing. I beat one end into an oval shape which makes a wrench handle fit in it. I just slip it over the handle whenever I need leverage.
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:53 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
A breaker bar is a handy thing for just this reason...
Old May 4th, 2013, 11:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I stick a 1 1/8th six point wrench on it and kick the wrench and it comes off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions