Oil Accumulator - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 1st, 2016, 02:13 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Oil Accumulator

Hey y'all!
I'm thinking about istalling an oil accumulator such as this:

Engine Pre Lube System Insta-Lube Kit Description

I like the idea of having oil pressure before startup.
I think I'll "T" off my oil pressure sender and run a SS braided line to the tank.

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2016, 01:35 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

If you remove the oil pan on the 3.9, remove the oil preasure switch on tye oil pump housing, then feed oil under preasure "around 20 psi" through the sender housing you'll notice that the engine is "lubricating" instantly! Fine..... if you want to be more specific I would say in 1/2 a second meaning that your engine is primed "before" it starts as the starter is turning! The ONLY 3.9s that have oil issues are those used in racing where tye rest of the engine is beefed up / modded to such an extent accompanied with very high RPMs that the stock oil pump cannot keep up!

What you have stumbled upon though is a fool proof method of priming a brand new oil pump / filter and engine without stuffing Vaseline in the pump and praying it works!
Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:03 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
So in other words...it's a good idea...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:11 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Looks like a cheaper version of an accusump pre-oiler. Probably not that much different in function.

Mind you, the accusump preoiler was designed for static operation for engine builders. Like, on an engine stand. You might have to Google around to see how effective it is for permanent on-vehicle installs.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:19 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
This:
Engine Pre Lube System Insta-Lube Kit Description
...works off the ignition. Once the ignition is on (prior to cranking over) the silinoid releases the check valve pressurizing the system to the last operating pressure.

Here is how it works:

http://engineprelube.com/images/Inst...cture-roll.pdf

Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:46 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

The way that oiler works dosnt apply to tye rover V8! the pre oiler is going off the assunption that your engine dosnt have any oil in it or no oil in the relevent parts. The oil galleys & pump in the rover V8 are allways primed and ready to go.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:22 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I dunno. I mean, the accusump designed for preoiling cars uses a divided piston to make sure that oil isn't aerated during pressurization.

I have no idea how well these work in dynamic applications without a dividing piston.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 05:26 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

There has to be a diaphragm inside the tank for this to work. You'll find different applications that use this principle such as well water pump systems. Even where there is a check valve to keep the oil galleys full using a check valve (probably 100% of vehicles) oil still weeps at the bearings. Pre-lubing would ensure adequate oil presence at the bearings during start up. I recall reading that most engine wear takes place at startup. I considered it many years ago but couldn't stomach the cost of the Accusump.

'71 IIA 88" LS1 hybrid
'84 110 5 door 'Nigerian Princess'
'90 RRC
'97 D1 LSE (parting out)
'02 D2 Kalahari
'02 D2 SE
'02 D2 SE
Old January 3rd, 2016, 03:41 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
"Pre-lubing would ensure adequate oil presence at the bearings during start up. I recall reading that most engine wear takes place at startup."

Bingo!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac