Oh oh, Tdi Sounds Funny - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 4th, 2008, 10:42 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Oh oh, Tdi Sounds Funny

As I said in my other post, the new engine was running fine. But of course, things never seem to go as smooth as you would hope.

After a bit of test driving, it was time to head home. I had driven my Series 3 across the city to my buddies shop, so to save myself the 1.5 hours of driving to retrieve vehicles, we broke out the tow bar and I hooked the 88 to the back of the 110. I had only driven a few kms when I started to hear a ticking sound coming from the engine. I pushed on for a few minutes but the ticking was getting worse. So I wimped out and headed back to the shop.

There was no loss of power or anything else out the ordinary. I was thinking that may be the tappets needed adjusting, but I think you would normally hear that under load. This ticking is most noticeable at idle or low engine revs. Much less pronounced at higher speeds, but I suppose that could just be because it is drowned out by all the other racket.

I got back to the shop and when I popped the bonnet, the noise is quite noticeable. It seems to be coming form the area of the injector pump. May or may not be coming from the pump but it definitely coming from that side of the engine. I don't have a clue where to look here.

So, once again, anybody have any ideas what might be amiss here? I know itís hard to diagnose without hearing it, but maybe this has happened to some body before. If I donít get this engine sorted and the truck back on the road soon, SWMBO is going to start loosing patients with me!

Thanks

Brett
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4554.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	13260  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2008, 11:46 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Might have broken some of the lash caps between the adjustment arm and the valve. Be a good place to start. Crack injection lines to determine which cylinder/s are making the noise if you do not find any missing lash caps.

Sorry to hear your saga continues

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Ahhh, that brings back the memories of losing a lash cap on the 2.5NA while off road.... That cylinder exhausted partially through the intake. Now that was a noise. I would think the power would be down with a lost cap, at least that is what I experienced. Quick and easy to check regardless.

Does it rev up OK?

Does it sound like pinging at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2008, 05:11 AM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Yes, my woes continue.

I have never heard the term lash caps before. Sounds like I'll belooking under the rocker cover, but at what exactly?

The engine revs fine and still has power. Towed the 88 back to my starting point just fine. That's what's weird, given that there is definetly a problem, I would have expected some sort of decrease in performance.
I am sure it's not pinging. The noice is very pronounced even at idle. Don't notice it being any louder with the engine under load.

Brett
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:45 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Had a bad vacuum pump that sounded something like that. I never figured out what was wrong with it, but the noise was clearly coming from within when listening with stethoscope .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

I have a ticking sound on my Def coming from the same area you mention and it turned out to be the air filter bed, just moving the air filter canister the noise disappears...
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose
I have never heard the term lash caps before. Sounds like I'll belooking under the rocker cover, but at what exactly?
They are little caps that sit on the valves for the rockers to run on. If I read the part catalog correctly, they were optional on the 20TDI..... Pull the valve cover, 4 bolts, a few minutes. Check the valve lash. Does not sound like the problem though. Can't hurt to check.
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:13 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
It was getting late, and dark, so I couldn't stick around to investigate last night. I won't be able to get back out there for a couple days so it looks like I'll get to sit and brood for a bit.

If I can't pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from, I will start with the valve cover off and proceed from there. Lash caps or vacuum pumps I can handle. With any luck, it is just something has come loose or there is something we forgot to tighten... but then I usually don't have that kind of luck.

You would think though that if something serious were amiss, the truck wouldn't run as well as it did.

Brett
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
I was thinking Matt, if the clicking sound is coming from the vacuum pump, would that not affect the brakes? I would think it would be failing if it was starting to make noises like that. My brakes were working fine, even with the 88 pushing from behind.

If it is the pump, I have access to a spare, so the wait time for parts would be cut way down. Lash caps too for that matter.

Brett
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:57 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I had a vac pump that worked just fine, or well enough, but made a godawfull racket. I shut the truck down several times afraid that something was failing badly. Didn't effect the brakes.

I've had fuel lift pumps make a racket also, but you've replaced that right?

If youd lost a lash cap I can't imagine that it would be running very well at all..........hopefully it's just something come loose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old May 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Zipped accross the city this morning for more fettling on the 110. I had fully intended on swapping out the vacuum pump as that seemed like the likeliest culprit. Didn't happen.

When I got there I fired the beast up and had another listen. I was trying to narrow the location down of the sound. While doing so I sort of realized that it wasn't really a clicking sound, more of a phf!t sound and it seemed to be coming from the top front area of the engine. So, being as careful as I could, I started poking my ears (still attached to my head) down and around the running engine. Yep, noise coming from area around the front injector. I also notice when I casually put my hand near said injector to steady myself, there were short little air blasts coming up from between the injector and the rocker cover. AH HA! Almost missed it as the air blowing off the fan sort of overpowered it.

So I proceeded to pull the front injector, thinking the sealing washer down in there must have crapped out. Well, got the washer out but they are crush washers so it was kind of hard to tell if there was anything wrong with it cause it was crushed, though it seemed to look fairly intact.

Anyway, you could see blowby around and under the injector retainer clip, so looks like I found the problem. I reinstalled the injector and fired up the truck again, just for the badness of it. This time there was a louder PHF!T sound accompanied by little blasts of smoke coming up from the injector.

Well, looks like that's cracked it. I phoned a couple diesel shops but natch nobody is open on a Sat. Will hit the one near me on the way home on Monday. They should be able to hook me up with some washers. Hopefully it is just the washer, though funny that it just sort of started leaking. Hmmm?

I may actually get this bad boy on the road one of these days.

Brett
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Thats good news.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:01 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I've seen the stud that for the injector retaining clip back out some, making it thard to get the injector tight.

Nice that it is no big thing though!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi