OEM Antenna or Replacements - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 16th, 2006, 09:39 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

OEM Antenna or Replacements

Any ideas where I can track down and OEM antenna? Does anyone have any recommendations for replacements?

Thanks again,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2006, 10:47 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Well, any antenna that fits the hole is good. I paid $1.50 at a Building 19. Heck, I paid more for the extension to reach the radio.
Old January 17th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Building 19! Sweet Art!

I would think you could get OEM at the stealership or maybe Rovers North quite possibly George at RDS has some? But I am with Art, it's just an antena just get one that fits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2006, 11:12 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

I put on a short, flexible, black rubber antenna on my 90. LOVED it. It got slammed be tree branches and such several times while offroading and it never failed. Looked a helluva lot better than the cheesy metal stock antenna too imho. You can get them at autozone for like $9.
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:42 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverboy
I put on a short, flexible, black rubber antenna on my 90. LOVED it. It got slammed be tree branches and such several times while offroading and it never failed. Looked a helluva lot better than the cheesy metal stock antenna too imho. You can get them at autozone for like $9.
I agree with Thomas, durability is the key. When I snap my LR antenna I am going to replace it with a flexable rubber antenna.
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:55 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

If you're talking about the 1-ft tall stubby rubber ones they are crap for reception. If you're talking about the full size flexible ones they are fine.

If pushing the regular antenna down to protect it is too much work for you then get an electric one and turn the radio off; you shouldn't be listening to it anyways. Of course, if turning off the radio is also too much of an effort, then I agree the short one is fine.
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

As another option, when I put fender protectors on, there was no provision for an antenna. I wound up finding a box somewhere (some CB shop online) that allowed you to use your CB antenna for both the cb and the radio. reception for both is adequate, I think it was $20 or so.
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

When I bought my D-90 it featured a broken aerial, and I have been looking for possible replacements that would be an improvement over the stock offering. Improved reception would be a good thing. I frequently use a cover when the truck is not parked in the garage, so I need an antenna that is either retractable or flexible.

British Pacific and Rovers North carry the stock replacement aerial (xuc100850) in the $50 range.

I would suspect with all the custom mod gurus on this forum that someone would have sourced a more elegant replacement along the Expedition Exchange philosophy.

Anyone else have $0.02 worth of aerial antenna insight?
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

coat hanger.

bling, bling
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Since I use XM anyways, reception doesn't matter to me. I have the flexible 1ft antenna.

But any universal antenna will fit fine. Just avoid the cheap electric retractables, they don't last worth a squat.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss
When I bought my D-90 it featured a broken aerial, and I have been looking for possible replacements that would be an improvement over the stock offering. Improved reception would be a good thing. I frequently use a cover when the truck is not parked in the garage, so I need an antenna that is either retractable or flexible.

British Pacific and Rovers North carry the stock replacement aerial (xuc100850) in the $50 range.

I would suspect with all the custom mod gurus on this forum that someone would have sourced a more elegant replacement along the Expedition Exchange philosophy.

Anyone else have $0.02 worth of aerial antenna insight?
Go buy a BWM Z8 bumper, it contains both an FM and Am antenna and bolt it to the back of your 90, it should be a direct fit in place of the step bummper as BMW owned Land Rover back in 94.

Really, it's just an antenna and is no more then a 30 minute job to replace the wire and antenna. I bought a colapsable antenna, it extends to about 5 feet and colapses to just under 2 feet and it has a big spring on the bottom. To protect it off road I tuck it behind the snorkel, so what I guess I am saying is you need a snorkel if you want to put an antenna on.
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Go buy a BWM Z8 bumper, it contains both an FM and Am antenna and bolt it to the back of your 90, it should be a direct fit in place of the step bummper as BMW owned Land Rover back in 94...To protect it off road I tuck it behind the snorkel, so what I guess I am saying is you need a snorkel if you want to put an antenna on.
So I take it following your line of snarky reasoning I should buy a snorkel made by Ford since they currently own Land Rover that way I have the truck properly pimped from ass to snorkel. Good thing Yugo did not own Land Rover during BMW and Ford interval otherwise the OEM engine would be a two stroke with a string pull start.
Old January 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

How about no whip antenna at all? Just attach a wire to the inside of the roof, run it above the headliner and down the side to the radio, with the appropriate connector. That way you use the entire roof (and any roof rack attached to it) as an antenna. Theoretically, it should equal however many 3-ft whips you can line up to cover the surface area of the roof. That's a lot of reception!

Even better, if we can assume the roof is directly connected to the body then the entire body is included in the surface area. If it isn't a simple wire connection will suffice.

This continues to apply to any metal object attached to the truck - like a trailer. Of course, at that point you are beyond any additional need for reception as you should already receive FM stations about 1000 miles away. Diminishing returns you know - who wants to get Mexican or Canadian FM anyways?

Really this works!
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:42 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
turn the radio off; you shouldn't be listening to it anyways.
Driving without the radio on? That's downright un-American.

Driving down a wide-open road on a nice day with the radio blaring -- one of life's great pleasures.
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:15 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Summit Racing sells an "antennaless antenna," as do most any car stereo shops. It's a little black box that can be stuffed in a cubby box, under your seat, in the engine compartment, wherever. I don't have one, but I saw them in their last catalog and thought that might be the way to go.

And for all you guys bitching about reception, consider yourself lucky to even have a radio at all. LOL...Mine doesn't have anything. No antenna, no radio, no speakers, no amp, no nothing....only the clack,clack,clack of the 300Tdi which I guess, is music to some. For now, when I want driving music, I have to listen to my iPod.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, oem