Odyssey vs. Optima vs. Panther Battery Opinions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 17th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Maine 110
Ware/Jesse
Recovering 110 Owner

Odyssey vs. Optima vs. Panther Battery Opinions?

I have searched the forem oand not seen any posts or discussions on the Optima VS Odyssey VS Black Panther batteries. I am getting ready to replace my 8 year old red tops and am looking for opinions and debate on the pros and cons of the above batteries.

Jesse

Recovering NAS 110 Owner.

There is a thin line beyond which you really can't fake...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

For referance

http://www.optimabatteries.com/

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Didn't find much on Black Panther Batteries.
Old October 17th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Maine 110
Ware/Jesse
Recovering 110 Owner

Thanks Mike, I think the black panthers are no longer available.

I have always had great luck with the optimas but just thought it was worth a look around to see what else is out there andd hear what others might have to say about them.

Jesse

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2005, 01:40 PM
naeirie
Nilo Enerio
95 D90 ST #2571

Registry
Have you thought about the Exide orbital XCD? http://www.exideworld.com/products/a...bital_XCD.html
I use 2 of these with the TJM IBS dual battery system. It's as good as the optima and cheaper
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There is also the Exide Orbital Marine Starting/Deep Cycle.

See here

I have two of them in my 90. If you winch, it is nice to have the deep cycle design.
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Maine 110
Ware/Jesse
Recovering 110 Owner

The Exide Batteries seem like wanabee, Optima ... me to batteries. Exide's specs don't seem to match up to the Optima or the Odyssey, although I have not been able to locate a thorough spec sheet on these batteries. I am in the process of generating a comparison spreadsheet on all of these batteries, I will post the sheet once I get it complete.

I know ther are some folks running the Odyssey out there, although they may not be here on the 90 board anymore. Please speak up if you have an optinion on the batteries. I do not wish to debate wet cell batteries as I do not feel they are suited to the aplications we use them in.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/ the real Odyssey web site.

Old October 18th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Kneel
Neil Flanagan
94 D90 ST #1092

I have a pair of Hawker(now EnerSys) Odyssey PC1200's running through a WranglerPP battery manager Prior to that, I had a pair of Optima yellow tops. I managed to kill the primary Optima prematurely. Im certain it was caused by a parasitic load from a malfunctioning alarm.

The PC1200 doesn't quite compare to the Optima yellow top. It's more of a deep cycleable red top. But what I do like about the Odyssey is the metal case, cycle life(400 cycles), and its size. I can now fit two batteries and the solenoid for my X9 underneath the seat.

I just replaced the Optima in my Disco with the PC1700. Two would probably not fit under the seat. But if you are only looking for a single battery, it is a beast. It weighs 60 lbs!!! The specs are rediculous leaving the Optima in the dust.

http://www.batterymart.com/pdf_files/odyssey_guide.pdf

FWIW
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Has anyone looked at the Group 31 batteries Optima has?

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ec_sheets.html

They are a bit bigger then the normal optimas!
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine 110
The Exide Batteries seem like wanabee, Optima ... me to batteries. Exide's specs don't seem to match up to the Optima or the Odyssey ...
Exide specs are on their website. Specs are basically identical to the Optimas of the same size categories. The Exides have a much better reputation than the Optimas. Most 4WD shops around here have stopped selling Optimas because of very common quality control problems (high rate of failures).

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Has anyone looked at the Group 31 batteries Optima has?
They are very big. I have not checked, but you would need to make sure there is enough height in the 90 battery box. I think it should fit as long as it is down in the bottom valley of the box, but the height might be very close.
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yeah they would be a tight fit, at the back of the seat box the height is 24 cm and the battery is 23.8 at the terminal post, but the box is angled and there is about 30cm at the front.

And I agree, Exide makes good bateries. I have used very big one's in forklifts and they hold up to quite a bit of punishment for a long time, much more then you could do with a winch or anything running in a Rover.
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
OK, then I suspect if you placed it as close to the front of the box as possible, it would be OK. And, of course, put the ground terminal at the back....

Certainly a nice option instead of going to the trouble of dual batteries. Capacity wise it is about 150% of a single group 34 Optima or Exide Orbital so would be like having one and a half batteries.
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL I was thinking the same thing! Ground in the back! I can just see a new post, my + battery treminal shorted against th seatbox cover, where do I get a new cover? But I don't have any problems running just 1 optima since I don't have a winch and the alt puts out 120 amps.
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
FWIW I have had good luck with my optima its the red top I dont run a winch. If looking for something tougher why not go to a tractor store, ie the John Deere dealership or a place that deals catapillar. I know a guy with a Cat battery and he runs his winch lights etc with it must be tough..
Old October 18th, 2005, 07:37 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I run a optima blue top marine battery. It has more posts on it to hook up crap... I like it. Truck always starts..lol
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
If looking for something tougher why not go to a tractor store, ie the John Deere dealership or a place that deals catapillar. I know a guy with a Cat battery and he runs his winch lights etc with it must be tough..
I don't know about that one. We run all sorts of equipment at work including CATs. The standard batteries are regular deep cycle jobbies. We never get more than 2 years out of them before they crap out.
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:02 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I'm running a nice big Dump Truck/Tractor battery in my 110 and will not be getting another one. It was great to begin with and the price was right for the time but it is starting to loose it's holding ability after almost 2 years. I'm not sure if it's the offroading/vibration or the constant severe temp changes in the winter but I will be going with gel cell's next time.
Old October 20th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Broke It
Dave Butler
99 disco

I ran a yellow top on my series rig, the generator quit charging and for 3 days and 4 winch jobs the battery never let out. I liked the deep cycle for the amount of long term use that it had. The red top is great for short burst but not hard winching.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery