Odometer/speedo correct? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 14th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST
Odometer/speedo correct?

Okay, I have been pondering this question for some time now. It seems that the odometer in my '95 d90 is not quite correct. It seems to show more milage than is put on it (verified by many, many, many mile markers and already known milages). At first I wondered if it could be the tires, but they are 265/75R16 which i think is stock? I know that when I put bigger tires on my old Jeep I needed to replace a gear that poked out of the transfer case to correct the speedo/odo. My question is if there is some gear somewhere that might need to be replaced or has the speedo gone bad? Or is there something else that I can do to help calibrate the speedo/odo? Any feedback is appreciated,

ps. I will have access to my dad's GPS this weekend, then I can have some hard numbers to back up my suspicions.

Old October 15th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW
You don't need a GPS to ensure your stock speedo with stock tires is wrong...it is wrong. They all are. It turns out that with the next size larger tire 255/85R16...(I think that is it) the speedo will read absolutely accurately. Not a great answer...but has been true on both of my Defenders.

Wherever I go...there I am.
Old October 15th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
You are correct about the gear that pokes out of the T-case. You simply disconnect the cable from it and pull it out to change it. Not sure where to get the correct one.
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions