Odometer reads 76% actual miles - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 20th, 2006, 08:44 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Odometer reads 76% actual miles

With stock BFG ATs and rims on my '94 D-90 my speedometer is reading just about spot on, but my odometer is reading about 76% of the actual miles driven. This problem is more of a nuisance than anything else, but I am hoping some of you Defender gurus can help tell me how to fix it.

I am a bit surprised that whatever internal cable gearing is incorrect does not also affect the speedometer. It taxes my mathematical skills to constantly have to multiply my mileage by 1.24% to find out how far I have really gone (naturally I use 1.25% so my brain cells do not rebel).

It peeves me that the steeler who sold me this truck (Land Rover American Fork, Utah) knew full well that the odometer reading was only 76% of the actual miles the truck had driven, yet sold it based on the miles shown on the odometer. I do not want to be guilty of the same crime if, by some unforeseen reason, I have to someday pass the truck onto someone else. Of course, the odometer problem is only one of the misrepresentations put forth by the steeler, but such is life. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm, Odometer and the Speedo are driven by the same cable! IF one is off the other should be off by the same amount unless one is broke.

My trip odometer works itself up to 12 miles before it starts rewinding itself
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Think of it this way...the truck is under warranty longer....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2006, 12:07 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
I love those warranties! Of course the nearest Land Rover dealer is 120 miles away and for some reason they won't drop me off back at my office while I await any work done on the car. So as with most of us I do it all myself.

Yeah Mike, I cannot understand how the odometer can be off if the speedometer isn't, but there is not doubt that is exactly what the situation is. Just another Land Rover puzzle.
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:07 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

Smile

My speedo is right also but the mileage is reading only 65%

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac