Odometer flash - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 5th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Weaver
Alexander Weaver
97 D-90 AA Yellow #1386

Odometer flash

My odometer flashes the milage very quickly sometimes. It usually occurs when I am driving in the rain, soon thereafter, and/or when it is very humid outside. The local dealership said a guy brought one in with the same problem about a week before I took my in and they could never figure out how to fix it. I know the water/humidity is the problem but does anyone know how to fix it or what I can tell the dealer to do? I do not want to replace the odometer either considering I don't want to go through the trouble of all the paperwork, etc. They said they could not order a one with my current milage already in it either, and that my "on-board-computer" does not retain milage when the odometer is changed like in the new Range Rovers. Thanks for any and all input.

-alexander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Weaver
Alexander Weaver
97 D-90 AA Yellow #1386

bump
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:46 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaver
bump
The dying readout on the '97 odometer has come up before. The apparent issue is a bad connector for the digital readout. Some folks have had luck taking the speedo apart and working on the connection, but not something I would recommend unless you are experienced with electronics.

Here is the only thread I could find on the topic

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3035
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

The tech at the speedo shop here in Portland OR told me that the display for the odometer is a cheapo made in Taiwan unit. VDO has been using them for years and they are crap. He says they will go out after several years. I tried the trick of redoing the connection but it didnt work.

I ended up paying $270 to have the LCD removed from my speedo and have one robbed from another new VDO speedo installed. It was something I wasnt up for doing myself as the LCD display is glued onto the front face of the speedo display. Someone with more skills could do it themselves and possibly save money. I cant help but wonder if there isnt a source for JUST the LCD display itself...that would be helpful.

Larry

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions