Odd transfer case failure - any input? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2015, 09:30 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Odd transfer case failure - any input?

This was written up in the "Toughest Trail Fix" thread, but so far this failure has everyone - including myself - stumped.

Cliffs notes on the situation leading up to it:
- was off road, going over a small/medium obstacle (nothing insane by any means...call it a "Galpin Green" : ).
- difflock/CDL was on, as well as my rear locker (I believe I had the rear on, but CDL for sure).
- I was trying to get up-and-over, just feathering the gas...was not hammering it by any means.
- there was no "pop" or anything, it just suddenly stopped going...we thought the tcase may have popped into neutral or had a linkage issue.
- tugged it back to camp, did diagnostics, and initially thought the crosspins had failed.
- pulled & replaced the tcase in situ at camp (after a trip to get a suitable replacement).

Anyhow, I finally got around to pulling the tcase apart on the bench this weekend. I was fully expecting to find the crosspins snapped/etc, but when I pulled it apart I was surprised to find the nose of the casting/housing for the center diff itself had actually sheared off as seen in the below photos.

Any ideas WHY this would have happened? I've discussed this with some of the resident "experts" (as well as some weathered Rover techs), and it seems to have everyone scratching their heads. Best theory to date seems to be a fault or bad casting in the diff housing...but any other input?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8185.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	119351   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8200.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	119352  

Name:	IMG_8202.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	119353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8201.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	119354  

Name:	IMG_8198.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	119355  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Where did you get that box? Is it a suffix A serial number? That is a very early center differential. What is the serial number?
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:05 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob View Post
Where did you get that box? Is it a suffix A serial number? That is a very early center differential. What is the serial number?
Rob, this is the tcase I was telling you about when we chatted on the phone last week (and the issues extended to the output shaft on the trans with the spline wear). At that point I had not dug into it, and was still assuming the crosspins had failed.

Appears to be a suffix-E, Serial# is 28D280383E.

It was actually a replacement installed by a prior-owner, and *supposedly* he got it from AB as a rebuild...based on my calculations it only has about 20K miles on it between when the PO put it in and the mileage I've put on it since then.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Probably just a bad casting. I had an intermediate gear pop off one day on the street. Sometimes these things have flaws.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 29th, 2015, 02:28 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
The unfortunate downside of rebuilds is that they reuse virtually all the components minus worn or broken items.

sorry jason...on the other hand...at least it wasn't so catastrophic that the rest of the tcase suffered permanent damage!
Old May 1st, 2015, 03:40 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Hi Jason,
took two pictures of two different diffhousings today.

Left is the newer one:

Have a look at the different type of radius between the shaft and shoulder:

My intension is that the broken area is old (it's covered with old grey brown oil). No wonder there was no kracking noise when it happens. The shaft had been broken 90% at that time.
I would call this a long term torsion break (Torsionsdauerbruch in German). Typical for that is the angle of the cone: it's almost 45. The source was the very small radius.

I would like to get a BKB for this info!

picr.de seems to be out of order for a while.
Try again later.
And please hold the line.
Old May 1st, 2015, 04:39 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
makes sense, arlo. There's significantly more material on the newer style than the older style.
Old May 1st, 2015, 05:18 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
I would call this a long term torsion break (Torsionsdauerbruch in German).
Have we found a name for your truck?
Old May 1st, 2015, 05:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
You have to have at least 3 engine fires before you can earn that title.
Old May 1st, 2015, 07:12 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
Hi Jason,
took two pictures of two different diffhousings today.

Left is the newer one:

Have a look at the different type of radius between the shaft and shoulder:

My intension is that the broken area is old (it's covered with old grey brown oil). No wonder there was no kracking noise when it happens. The shaft had been broken 90% at that time.
I would call this a long term torsion break (Torsionsdauerbruch in German). Typical for that is the angle of the cone: it's almost 45. The source was the very small radius.

I would like to get a BKB for this info!

picr.de seems to be out of order for a while.
Try again later.
And please hold the line.
Arlo:

Very interesting...Roadside Rob seemed to have alluded to that (my internals were "older" than they should have been). The irony of all of this, is that my tcase has a 28D serial# (suffix E) and would *lead* one to believe it was/should be newer components. Additionally, the prior owner got the tcase as a rebuild unit from AB (I believe) <20K miles ago. Seems that *someone* was touting a new tcase/rebuild...but with ANCIENT parts.

Not to fear, as I now have a suffix-G case in my possession that will go in my truck in the interim, and my psuedo-plan is to rebuild my old case with 1.003 ratio gears when I get the chance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8217.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	119670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8223.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	119671  

Name:	IMG_8239.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	119672  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transfer case