Odd Temperature Rise 200tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 9th, 2010, 09:40 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Odd Temperature Rise 200tdi

I drove 25 miles at about 630pm tonight and the engine temp gauge never went above 190 Degrees, It was about 90 degrees outside at the time. Parked the truck for 2 hours and when I drove home at 9pm with the outside temp at least 10 degrees cooler, the engine temp went up to about 205-210.
Anyone know why this would happen?

The truck has run warmer at night before, but I thought it was just a freak thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2010, 10:23 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Could be a lazy thermostat. May want to change or test it before it really lets you down.

Or by one of my clutchless fans and it will be practically aircooled with the propwash rushing by it. lol

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 9th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Yeah mine runs hot at night too. Odd isn't it? Well when I drive during the day with the lights on it gets hot also. Turn the lights off and it gets cool again. Hmmmm...voltage drop in the system due to the undersized headlight circuit? Bit of Ohm's Law tit-for-tat, or what have you, and your gauge reads high or low, depending. Others report the same problem. Towing uphill it actually does get hot. But not terribly so, 205F maybe -higher at night- but she held.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2010, 07:02 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Pendy, isnt 205 a normal temp for a Tdi? If your gauge reads different with your headlights on, That is prob a ground problem. I had this prob once. Run a dirrect ground to your temp gauge.
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:28 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Awesome plug! Wouldn't that super fan keep it too cool, or is that impossible?

I'll check if it's headlight related, I hadn't thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
Could be a lazy thermostat. May want to change or test it before it really lets you down.

Or by one of my clutchless fans and it will be practically aircooled with the propwash rushing by it. lol
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:59 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Good call DB and Randy, it was headlight related. As soon as I turned them on today the gauge went up 10 degrees. It was odd that it wasn't always 10, I did it a few times and it seem to change between 10-15?
where should I run the new ground from?
Old July 12th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mine runs normally at 200-205, and hit close to 215 these past few days with the outside temp hit 100.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:34 PM
piekas
Pierre Jourda
1987 Defender 110

Bringing an older thread back to life. Just replaced my old thermostat (with which temperature guage used to be right in the middle). New thermostat (also an 88C) causes guage to be in 3/4 position, at edge of white. We all know that the stock guages are approximations. In my case, I don't know if the old thermostat was letting too much through or the new one not enough, or whether the new is actually just fine. I've searched high and low, but can't find what the target operating temperature range should be for the 200TDI. Anyone know?

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Mine runs normally at 200-205, and hit close to 215 these past few days with the outside temp hit 100.
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:18 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

I have similar experience to many 200 tdi owners when the outside temp goes into the mid - upper 80's... my guage registers slightly below the warning orange range. In the winter, the guage hardly registers at all. In normal to moderate temps, it registers in the center of the temp guage. I am emailing pendy and inquiring about the clutchless fan. Although I have heard running too cool is not good (my truck runs very cool in the winter), I am much more concerned about overheating. After all, I guess I can control too cool engine temp with a grill muff in the winter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi