Odd sized hex bolts on Defender - Imperial ?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 24th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Agent Mulder
2008 110 PUMA
Odd sized hex bolts on Defender - Imperial ??

Discussing the external rear view mirror arms (with the spring loaded rotational mount at the door hinge end and the ball at the mirror end).

I need to remove mine (removing to repaint after corrosion removal) but the hex socket (underneath the plastic insert) has a measurement of 7.7mm between flats

Looking at an fractional imperial to metric chart I see that this measurement sits between:

5/16 @ 7.94mm (too large) and 19/64 @ 7.54mm

I don't have a 7mm hex key, but suggest it would be too small anyway, so is 19/64 a common hex key size ? And why would LR do that ?

Removing the whole lot (door hinge etc.) and masking the joint for painting it is an option, but I'd rather just go direct if possible.

What am I missing?

Old February 5th, 2016, 01:08 AM
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST
I don't think that is a hex screw. The one on mine is a crimped piece that does not unscrew, The crimp looks like a hex screw, but it isn't.

Old July 1st, 2016, 12:00 AM
1995 NAS Defender 90
I have the same situation Agent Mulder - did you figure out how to best remove these? Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

bolts, defender