Odd noise from the Lt77 or 230 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
83 110
Odd noise from the Lt77 or 230

Sometimes when I shift or am coasting and then give it some gas, I get a strange noise from what feels like is under my feet. It sounds almost like wires between two pulleys are loose and flapping around a bit? I changed the tranny mounts yesterday, which helped some, but I still get it now and then.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor
How much, if any lift are you running? First I'd get a magnetic angle gauge from the hardware store and measure your u-joint angles. If they are over 7 degrees you may get the coil springs to vibrate at certain times-usually on float when you're not on the gas, but not decelerating either. It sounds and feels like hitting the rumble strip on the side of the highway. If that looks ok and it seems like it could be one of the gearboxes, I'd try to narrow it down a bit further. Does it do it the same in all gears and reverse? Does it do it the same in low range? is it related to road speed? Is there metallic particles in the oil? Early LT77s have really small bearings on the countershaft that will fail and cause the shaft to shift. What are the serial # on your gearboxes? What engine is in your truck?
Rob Dassler
SWR Automotive
505-872-7818 (shop)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions