odd electrical issue - anyone seen this one? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 24th, 2013, 11:21 AM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
odd electrical issue - anyone seen this one?

My '88 ROW 110 has done this twice. While driving, the radio and heater fan turn off and the ignition switch chimes (like it does after you turn engine off). The engine keeps running and all other electrical circuits (like the lights) keep working fine.

What it looks like is that the entire circuit that is only on when the ignition is on - suddenly turns off. If I shut down/restart the vehicle it all comes back on.

Wiggling the ignition key does not help. I realize it could be a loose wire in the ignition, or a bad ground almost anywhere, but wondered if this circuit is on a relay and maybe the relay is failing. Anyone know if/where the relay is? My hunch is that its a bad connection between the ignition switch and the relay or the relay is failing.

Is there a way to identify the wiring for this "ignition on only" circuit so I can follow it around to look for loose connections or ground?

I appreciate any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2013, 11:48 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
start with the ignition switch ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 24th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

It is easy to pull the plastic off the steering column and check the wiring on the back of the switch. If it works again you may have a bare wire problem but more than likely it is the switch as mentioned above. Off the back of the switch you will have a switched circuit that goes to the fuse box. Some of the newer trucks will have a maxi fuse box on the firewall. If you do a search you can find a wiring diagram and start troubleshooting it. However those switches do go bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical