Odd electrical behavior - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 25th, 2015, 04:53 PM
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA
Odd electrical behavior

I have an odd set of symptoms, and looking for thoughts. Pretty sure it is a bad alternator, but it is a new manufactured 1 yr old unit (not that means much these days...). I know just enough about basic auto electronics to be dangerous.

1 yr old replacement alternator, running fine until last night. Got a single flicker on the battery light idling in traffic, noticed voltage read lower (but within the black) at cruise after and my VDO oil pressure gauge seemed to read higher than normal. The lower voltage reading then became erratic, still staying in the black. I got home and then loaded the alternator w/ fan, lights, etc which brought the voltage down, and it never recovered even with high RPM's.

Now the weird part. I shut the truck down, go to start it again and but no battery light unless I turn to the glow plug position!?! Also noticed that the new belt was very loose...was sufficiently tight not that long ago, can see the loose belt causing the erratic voltage, but not the no battery light.

Probably will not have time to pull the alt for a few days...
'85 90 2.5NA
'72 SIII 88"
..tolerant Wife...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions