Occasional Hard To Start and Now The Engine Spontaneously Dies - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

Occasional Hard To Start and Now The Engine Spontaneously Dies

Curious if anyone has any thoughts before I dive in to fix this. 1995 NAS stock but for oil lines. Occasionally it will crank but not start. Wait 30 seconds and it fires right up. Recently it twice died while driving (engine was still cold although this is California so cold is not COLD). After pulling over and waiting a minute or so it fired up and thankfully got me home. When it dies is dies instantly, no sputtering or loss of power...just dead.

My mind goes to a bad electrical connection rather than fuel given it seems to happen so fast and no warning but I thought I would tap the collective knowledge and experience here to see if anyone had particular insight. Thanks much. Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

My money is on a dying fuel pump or fuel pump relay.

Try this, when it does not want to start, turn the key on for 20 seconds, turn it off, turn it on for 20 seconds and then try to start it. If it fires right up then your fuel pump is going out.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

Thanks for the tip. Sorry to be ignorant but would this isolate a relay issue versus a fuel pump issue? And I originally thought fuel pump when it was just hard to start. I went to electrical when it hard stopped without zero warning, almost like hitting a kill switch. My experience with other vehicles where you have latent fuel pump failure is you have a power loss before a stop but that might just be specific to the particular vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

In my classic it did both hard starts and then stalls as the problem got worse. In my case it was the fuel pump, the relay is easy enough to check, swap it out with another one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, start