Defender Source Forum banner

OBD ii question

1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Rob 
#1 ·
in my '97 defender, i can scan codes as long as the ignition is on but the engine is not running.....however, ive been told that fopr ny state inspection, they require the engine to be running....anyone have info on this?? thx....

#4 ·
p.2

is that nec true? i thought the whole idea of the obd2 was that the sensors/monitors do all the worl while the engine is running and record it, possibly making it unneccessary to have it running for the inspection....the inspection could just be the retrieving of the obd2 info.....but like i said im not sure....

more important, any thoughts on why my scanner can read but only when not running? if i try to scan while running, i get an error.....thx...

#6 ·
You have a crappy scanner. What is it?

Wait a minute...what sort of error? I sometimes get spurious readings (P0000) initially while running but these are pending codes. Yes, my scanner reads pending codes. These P0000 codes never materialize into real codes.

#9 ·
i have the equus (inova) scanner also....according to british car svcs the only scanners that will work properly when the car is running are rovercom, orthlogic, and t4 - spellings might not be correct.....

Follow-up Post:

they're spelled autologic and rovacom

#10 ·
Ha! They're wrong. I have an Equus and I can read while running. In fact, when I first got it I would leave it on and drive around to notice its function. It beeps every 15 seconds as it reads continually.

Does yours beep like so?

What error message is displayed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.